Chapter 55

Lunch was a lot of fun. Erin kept thanking me over and over for helping Jill and apologizing for how she'd been treating me. I kept reiterating that it was done and over with and that I knew things would work out eventually.

Jill's mom gave me my sweatshirt back, all clean and fluffy, and also handed me a bag from Hot Topic.

"Erin, I can't accept this," I said before I even looked in the bag.

"You can and you will," Erin said.  "You stepped up, Samantha. You helped Jill when she needed it and she was being awful to you."

Erin looked at Jill, who sort of sank in her chair. I felt bad.

"Philip and I are thankful that despite everything, you stepped up and helped Jill. And I know she's very sorry about what she said to you about your birth father," Erin side eyed Jill, who sunk even further in her chair.

"It's okay. She's already apologized and I know she didn't really mean it."

It was awkward hearing Erin be mad-ish at Jill.

We finished lunch and I thanked Erin again for the lunch and the Fall Out Boy sweatshirt. I put both in my locker and Jill and I went to English.

Mrs Walker asked Jill how she was feeling and most of the kids in the class were nice and asked if she was okay.

After English was gym which I got out of because I had a basketball game. The team would meet in the last period before the game, so we were in a different room during gym.  We'd change into our uniforms while my class was in gym and then meet in a classroom. Once school was over we'd go into the gym to practice some before the game.

We were all just hanging around and talking, Coach was reminding us of the starting lines and then it was time to move over to the locker room and then the gym.

I was excited Mom and Dad and Uncle Josh would be at the game.

We went into the gym to warm up and I looked over near our bench. No Mom, Dad, Rosie or Uncle Josh.

I figured maybe Rosie woke up late from her nap. They'd be here. They promised.

I joined the team out on the court practicing lay-ups and free throws. Coach called us to the bench and we went and huddled around Coach while she set up our first line.

I was playing point guard and got into position, and waited for the game to start. The whistle blew and we were starting. I made a basket when the ball was tossed to me and we were up 2-0.

When it was time for a line change, I sat down and looked for Mom and Dad and Uncle Josh. They weren't here, still. I frowned. They'd promised they'd come. They hadn't texted all day to tell me if they couldn't make it.

I went into the second quarter distracted because I didn't know where they were and I was disappointed. They'd promised.

At halftime I checked my phone in the locker room. No message from anyone. I sent off a text asking where they were.

Coach was trying to get my attention.

"Joseph! What's up with you? You're all over the court in your own world."

"Sorry Coach. My parents said they were coming and they aren't here and they didn't text or anything."

"Sorry, but try to keep your head in the game, okay? We're down 70-58. They're waking all over us."

"Sorry Coach," I said, looking quickly at my phone to see if anyone had responded. No one had.

I wound up playing angry, which made me a bit more aggressive on the court. Which got me benched for the fourth quarter.

After the game, which we managed to eke out a win 75-74, I grabbed my stuff, changed quickly and walked home.

When I got home Mom and Dad and Uncle Josh were in the living room with Rosie.

"Hey hon! How was the game?" Mom asked.

"SaSa!" Rosie cried out.

I glared at all of them and stormed up to my room, slamming the door as hard as I could.

I threw myself on my bed and turned away from the door. I wasn't going to speak to any of them, no matter if they came in my room or not. Screw them. They'd promised and they didn't even bother to tell me they weren't coming.

I put in my earbuds and played Uncle Brendon's album as loud as I could handle. That way I wouldn't even hear them if they came in.

I don't know how much time passed before I felt a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off and turned the volume up on my phone.

"Sam, come on, let us explain," Dad said, taking my earbuds out of my ear.  I turned over, glared at him and grabbed my earbud back, shoving it back in my ear and turning away again.

Dad sat on my bed and tried to turn me over again. I resisted. I felt him get off my bed. Someone else sat down so I grabbed my pillow and put it over my head. How else could I get across that I don't want to talk to them?

I felt Mom's gentle touch on my arm, but shrugged it off, too.

Mom got up and I guess they left my room, because no one else came to bug me.