1. Follow The Rats

You walked through the great doors of the Casita de Madrigal to see the hustle and bustle of the Madrigal family. A girl with glasses stumbled around with art supplies, dropping pencils as she walked. A little boy, no older than seven, accompanied by a jaguar, trailed behind her, picking up the fallen pencils. On the balcony was a woman with a frown and a cloud hanging over her head being followed by a man calling,
"mi amore, I'm sorry! I was just kidding!"
Must be her husband you thought to yourself.

"Ay! You're all so loud, I can barely understand one of you at a time!" Dolores yelled to her family. She had brought you to her Casita after overhearing you talking about wanting to know what your future would hold, especially when it came to a job and a relationship. She told you to talk to her tío, Bruno. He was known as a shy, mysterious man who had just recently been seen in public for the first time in over ten years. You still hadn't seen him yet.

Dolores lead you upstairs to a hallway with door after door, designed with each member of the family. She stopped at Bruno's door, peaking inside before entering.

"Wait here while I see if he's in his room. This might take a bit, sorry," she said. You nodded and took a peek inside. The inside was much bigger, with a whole land of sand and stairs on the other side.

As you waited quietly, looking at the chaos around the house you noticed a rat scamper by up to a painting nearby. It squeezed under the painting and disappeared, cracking the back of the frame open a bit, like it was a door. You curiously made your way to the painting and tried to open it like to a door. Miraculously, it swung right open.

'Dolores is going to be a while' you thought to yourself. 'If she has to get up and down all those stairs then you might as well explore while you wait.'

You stepped inside the hole in the wall, revealing a path within the walls that the rats followed, squeaking in excitement.

As you crept further down the path, it started to get brighter, as if there was something at the end.

"Hello? Is anyone ther- OH!" You yelled as you suddenly fell through a week spot in the floor. You grabbed on to the floor boards and called for help. You glanced down to see how high up you were but it was so dark and misty that you saw no bottom. Your grip loosened and your hand slid closer and closer to the edge of the board.

"Please! Can someone help?!"

Just when you started to lose hope, you heard footsteps running above you. A hand grabbed onto your wrist and a voice responded, "Don't worry, I've got you!" You were pulled out of the floorboards and toppled on top of the person who had given their hand. Your eyes were shut tightly and your noses pressed against each other.

Slowly you opened one eye to see who the person was. It was a man with brown eyes that were barely visible by the long, dark brown curls covering his face. As you got up off of him you were able to get a better look at him. He had a kind face with bright, entrancing eyes and a bit of a scruffy beard. He wore a thick green poncho and stood under 6', maybe 5'8ish.

"Thank you. Thank you so much! I'm so sorry for invading your space and making such a mess, I just followed the rats and found your tunnel and-" You stopped, noticing the shocked look on the mans face. Thankfully, he broke his silence shortly after.

"Uh, it's ok!" He said, laughing and starting to sit up. He cracked an awkward smile and held a hand out, asking for you to help him up this time. He looked to be around his 40s, his eye bags giving him an older appearance.

You helped him up, smiling back at him and apologizing again.

"No no no, I'm sorry! You know, Hernando and Jorge were supposed to fix that up," he said shaking his head a bit.

"Who are they?"

Without a thought, the man the the hood of his poncho over his head and declared, "I'm Hernando and I'm scared of nothing!" Then he grabbed a nearby bucket and threw it on his head, adding on "I'm Jorge, I make the spackle! Heh... just kidding, it's me!" He said sheepishly, pulling the bucket off his head.

He made you laugh a bit and- was that? Oh my god. You were blushing. He was adorable mixed with his awkwardly charming personality and kind face.

"I'm Bruno Madrigal, the one who can tell the future?" He said, wondering if you would recognize him. He almost seemed reluctant to tell you, taking a step back and shaking his hands unenthusiastically when he told you his powers.

Oh my god, THE Bruno? You decided to give it a chance and ask if he could give you a reading.

"Of course I know you! I'm y/n, I actually wanted to talk to you. Dolores told me you could help me figure out where to go with my future. Do you think you could help? Of course you don't have to but I was just wondering if-"

His face fell a bit with every word you said.

"Oh, yeah, sure! Nice to meet you, y/n. I'm sorry, I'd be happy to give you a reading but I have to warn you, my readings have a history of only being negative. Are you sure you want to risk a negative future?" He looked at you nervously.

"Sure, what's life without a bit of risk!" You exclaimed happily but you couldn't help but feel a little reluctant.

"Really? You're not going to hate me even if I show you something you don't want to see?"

"No, I'm happy to get the chance to even lay eyes on you so the fact you're willing to help me only makes me love you even more."

His eyes grew wide at that statement. "Love". You said you "loved" him.

"Oh.. uhm... I didn't mean it like that I just uh... yeah..." You felt your head slowly fall in embarrassment.

Silence fell between the two of you as you stared at each other, unable to decide when to break the tension. As you stared you noticed his pupils were wide and he looked slightly flushed. Was he becoming nervous from seeing you? You realized that you probably looked the same way, you could feel your palms starting to sweat at just the thought of someone having mutual feelings of love towards you.

Bruno was the one to break the silence, explaining that the two of you would have to go somewhere else for a reading because he needed space. He grabbed your hand and lead the two of you out of the tunnel within the wall, being careful to avoid the hole you had fallen in.

The feeling of your fingers interlocked with each other only made you more nervous. Not of the reading but being around him.

He hurried with you to the same door Dolores had brought you to, brought you inside and had you sit inside a circle he formed of salt. The two of you sat face to face in the circle in silence for a moment.

"Are you ready?" He asked, staring into your eyes. He smiled and you thought you saw him blush for a moment.

"Ready as I'll ever be," you responded, unable to hide a smile in return.

He slipped his hands into yours and held them tight. Suddenly the sand started to move and the prophecy began.