8. Confessions

Tonight's dinner was tamales filled with delicious fresh vegetables and pork. Nobody seemed to suspect anything between the two of you so far although the quick topic of conversation was how you liked the room. You of course told them how much you loved it without hesitation but darted your eyes towards Bruno, smirking at him.

Antonio chirped up, "The rats told me you kissed Tío Bruno for a long time when you saw your room! Then they said you fell on the bed together and-"

"That's enough Antonio!" Pepa shrieked as a bolt of lightning crashed above her head. Felix spit his drink out across the table, Isabela's head popped with flowers, Dolores squeaked and clapped her hands over her ears, Camilo transformed into Bruno, then you in a half of a second. Bruno's hood was thrown over his head as he ducked under the table and your face exploded in a deep crimson. You could feel your whole body start to heat up in embarrassment as you shrunk back into your chair.

Everyone around the table sat in shock for a moment except for Antonio who looked around in confusion.

"Did I say something bad? I'm sorry mama," he mumbled, feeling ashamed.

"Of course not, chiquito. No need to feel bad. Please, continue the meal, everyone!" Abuela Alma said with raised eyebrows and a forced smile. She didn't even look in your direction for the rest of the meal.

You couldn't take more than one last bite of tamale while Bruno didn't dare make his presence known at the table while people finished eating.

"Gracias Julieta. Lo siento mucho, familia," you said as you excused yourself from the table with your head hung in shame. Bruno crept out of his hiding spot and slowly followed you out, grabbing your hand from behind. He was shaking like he had just seen a ghost and kept his hood on all the way upstairs to your room.

" I'm so sorry, Bruno," you told him as you entered the bedroom. "I was the one who initiated everything, I should've been more patient and understanding of your family. This is completely my fault,"

Bruno suddenly slid his hood off and stared at you with a confused look.

"Why would you say that this is your fault? It's mine! I'm the one who set up this whole room, knowing you might take the opportunity to have sex and I'm the one who agreed to do everything with you. It's because of me and that stupid vision were in this ridiculous mess!" He shouted, starting to lose his temper. There were worry lines on his face and he began pacing around the room, muttering a conversation with himself.

You sighed. "We shouldn't blame anyone, not even ourselves. There's no reason why a couple shouldn't be able to express their love to each other and it's stupid to keep passing back and forth responsibility for a situation that was bound to happen eventually. Plus, I wouldn't regret what we did for a even a moment! I enjoyed every second with you from when we first stepped into your cave earlier, don't you feel the same?"

He stopped dead in his tracks and turned towards you with teary eyes. Without a word, he walked towards an old ladder lying against the wall. He climbed up it and knocked on the ceiling of the Casita three times, revealing a hidden door that lead out on the roof. He gestured towards you to follow him up and out which you replied to with a nod. You ran to the ladder and crawled up after him to be met with a beautiful rooftop terrace. It was very private and small with a little table and two chairs set up, surrounded by a florid, rusted iron fence wrapped in flowers and ivy. The terrace looked out towards the mountains beyond the Encanto and had a breathtaking view of the sky. The deep blue-black sky sparkled with thousands of stars shining down upon the two of you.

"For ten years I sat in the walls of my house alone. I had no hope that I would ever be missed and thought no one would ever care enough to find me. I prayed everyday for the sun to set just a little bit faster every evening in hopes of getting to go to bed and leave the world around me behind for just a bit longer. I didn't think anybody could truly love me after I had left until I met you. It was like I had seen the stars for the first time in forever; I thought you were too good to be true. When you asked for a vision I secretly wished that I would be a part of it. Every time I'm around you I feel happiness and love and I never want to leave your sight. Today was one of the greatest days of my life. You didn't turn away in disgust or laugh at me or give me a look of pity, you gave me a chance. For the first time in my life I feel appreciated and confident and I could never regret a feeling like that for any reason!" Bruno proclaimed triumphantly. You jumped towards him, squeezing him with a strength you didn't even know you possessed.

"I love you. I love you so much and to know how much I mean to you means more than I could possibly say. From the moment you saved me when we met, there was never a doubt in my mind that you were the person I want to be with. You're the person who I can imagine having a life with and never growing tired of. I'm not great with words like you are but I think I would give up all of the stars in this sky just to be able to know you and kiss you." Your voice muffled as you spoke into his ruana.

"Thank you for everything. The room, this terrace, your family, yourself, everything," you whispered. The two of you gazed at the stars while you embraced each other. The scene was magical and it truly felt like a moment out of a fairytale.

"One thing though," you said.

"What is it, y/n?"

"We're going to need to make sure the rats are out of the room the next time we uh..."

"Of course, mi vida, of course," he replied with a chuckle.