4. The Bittersweet Truth

Author's Note: I imagine the reader in their mid to late 20s, 25-30ish. :)
—————————————————————————

"I'm sorry y/n. I haven't kissed anyone in... well ever since I was younger. I know it sounds dumb but the last and only time I really kissed someone was when I was around 20," he shrugged. He scratched the back of his neck and turned to face an armchair sitting in the room. You didn't mind. If you were being honest you'd only been in two relationships before meeting Bruno and even still, the two of you weren't officially dating yet. It was really sweet that he felt comfortable enough to tell you a private detail about himself.

"Bruno, listen to me. That kiss was beautiful. It was unlike any kiss I've had before. I've never felt so safe and so passionately loved in a kiss before now. It was really wonderful, I couldn't have dreamed of anything better." You said confidently. He didn't turn around immediately but you saw him perk up a bit, a few of his curls bouncing as his head jerked up. Your smile twinkled from ear to ear and you could tell his was too.

"Do you want to talk about it. Your first relationship?" His head turned to the side. He sighed and took a seat in the arm chair, taking a deep breath. He still had a smirk on his face when he sat down.

"Actually yeah, I think that'd be nice," Two rats scurried up onto his shoulders. "Mi mama wanted us to start our own families as soon as we turned twenty. Mi hermana, Pepa, had been with Felix for only a few weeks before I met Gabi. Mama set us up and we were arranged to be married later that year. They were kind and beautiful but anyone could see that we didn't really love each other. We tried our best to get along, I even gave them visions whenever they asked which... only ended up being three times. The first two visions aren't important but the third! Oh, well the third showed the two of us kissing, similar to the one that I gave you but it wasn't powerful like... that. The next day we were taking a walk towards the river about a half a mile from here and I gave them a necklace I had made.
They loved it. They kind of just kissed me in the moment. It was very nice in the moment, not a bad first kiss to be honest. I freaked out a bit though and ended up deciding at that moment that I just...wasn't ready. It was over after that. I think that's the moment mi mama lost hope in me. Everything was different after that so, yeah," Bruno got quiet. He looked down at his hands and leaned his head to rest toward one of the rats snuggling into the crook of his neck. You didn't really know what to say. No wonder he had been so nervous about the new prophecy, he didn't want to repeat the same pain he felt from the last.

"I'm going to try my best. I never want you to experience that again, it would hurt me too much to see you like that. If you'll have me, I'd love to be your second chance at love. Mi amor-" you whispered, crouching down towards the chair. He gave you a warm smile, a look of hope in his eyes.

Without saying anything, he stood up and took you in his arms. He squeezed you tightly and buried his head in your shoulder.

"Thank you, really. You don't know how long I've been keeping that in," he said nearly silently. The room was quiet except for the rats squeaking as you two stood in the middle of it, embracing.

'Mi amor.' A name for someone you truly love, someone you want to spend your life with. You thought back on how you had just used it, without a thought. You didn't hesitate one bit to call Bruno your love and although he didn't say anything, you could see that he accepted the name.

"Cena está lista!" a boy yelled. You both snapped your heads up.

"Coming Camilo!" Bruno called back, rushing to fix himself for dinner.

"'Coming Camilo!'" the boy echoed back to him, no doubt shifted into Bruno outside.

He smoothed out his poncho with his hands and fixed his hair to be perfectly parted how he wanted. He stumbled down the hallway, gripping your hand as he lead you with great care. He held the painting open and let you step out first. He started to strut out but got caught on the frame of the painting, toppling over, face first onto the floor. You couldn't help but laugh as you helped him.

"Heh, whoops!" He shrugged, rubbing the top of his forehead where a red mark was starting to form a bruise. "Julieta will mix me something, it's fine," he assured you.

The two of you walked side by side down the hallway and the stairs to the dining room. Your hands brushed past each other, making your stomach flutter with butterflies every time your skin skimmed his warm hand.

Dolores stopped you on the way. "That kiss didn't take to long, hm? Nice to know you're comfortable with each other!" She said a little too loud, making Isabela whip her head towards you and giggle. She nudged Mirabel and whispered in her ear. Word traveled fast in this family.

Bruno gave you an 'I'm sorry' look as he lead you to the table where Alma was waiting with excitement.