~cigarettes and quiet carriages~

~~~~~~~~

'Don't wanna grow old so I smoke just in case'~ Small Worlds by Mac Miller

~~~~~~~~

'Celeste, get your arse down here before we leave without you!'

'Mum I need to find my work apron, Madam Rosmerta will kill me if I forget it again.' Celeste yelled back at her mother, who was currently waiting for her alongside her older brother Cadmus, a Ravenclaw about to enter his seventh and final year at Hogwarts.

'Maybe if you weren't such a klutz, you would know where it was and we wouldn't have to wait around.' Cadmus said cockily as Celeste ran down the stairs, clutching her now-found, cream coloured apron in her hand.

'I've found it now, I don't know what the fuss is.' she scoffed in response, causing her older brother to roll his eyes.

'Well some of us have friends and they need to get to the right compartment on time.' he shot back at her.

Celeste tilted her head slightly before beginning to fire back. 'I don't give a shi-'

'ENOUGH! I'm too hungover for this just get in the car and stop your arguing.' Catherine Wilson- the siblings mother -sighed tiredly at them.

She was a tall enough woman with sleek brown hair tied in a low ponytail that reached halfway down her back. She wore flare jeans and an old cardigan with pockets full of packets of  cigarettes and Tic-Tacs. She looked about 30 despite being 45.

 Considering her slight alcohol problem and shattering mental health she wasn't the perfect parent but Celeste and Cadmus loved her all the same. She worked three jobs to keep them afloat and just truly cared for her children.

Sitting in the front seat, Cadmus switched on the radio as the rusted, blue Volkswagen Beetle pulled out of the driveway onto the road. Celeste stared out the window, looking at Barry, the small, seaside town in which she lived.

It was the kind of town where everyone knew everyone's business and your every move was watched and judged.

The Wilson family tried to stay away from most of the community, in attempt to avoid questions about where the children go for three-quarters of the year, but since Celeste started working at the small corner shop 'Spar' during the summer, people started to take notice of the peculiar family once again.

The car journey was a long three hour drive to get to London, and by the time they arrived they were exhausted. Grabbing her trunk out of the car and loading it onto the trolley, Celeste began walking to platforms 9 and 10, where the barrier to get to the Hogwarts Express lay behind a simple brick wall. As her mother and brother caught up with her, she started to speed-walk towards the barrier as fast as possible. Closing her eyes as she neared the wall, she made her way onto the bustling Platform 9 and 3/4, Cadmus and Catherine close behind her.

The siblings turned to their mother who surprisingly pulled the two in for a rare hug. 'Listen guys, I know since everything that happened with your dad things I haven't been the best mum to you both.' Cadmus coughed awkwardly at this, muttering something about blaming dad and not his mother.

'I promise I'm going to turn things around while you are at school ok?' The siblings simply nodded confusedly at this sudden outburst. It was very unlike their mother to act like this. It was a big statement and they knew giving up alcohol would be difficult for her.

'Just stay out of trouble Cad, the last thing I want are letters from professor Flitwick.' she said sternly to the older of the two, but Cadmus simply smirked. 'No promises there mum.'

Rolling her eyes she turned to Celeste. 'Try not to over-work yourself Cela, don't bite off more than you can chew.'

Celeste rolled her eyes but nodded all the same. 'Sure thing mum.'

~~~~~~

The siblings pulled their trunks onto the grand, red train and Cadmus headed over to the compartment he and his friends usually sat in. Celeste on the other hand walked the other way and began searching for a empty compartment. Since she had arrived quite early, it was very easy to find one and she sat down and began to read 'The Great Gatsby'.

She really enjoyed her peaceful train journeys but part of her wished she could enjoy it with other people, sharing sweets and swapping stories about the summer.

She used to have two best friends: Avery Smith, a bubbly girl with a bright smile and Marcus Rowle, a sarcastic and artistic boy. Both of her friends had been in Slytherin and from a long line of pureblood witches and wizards. With talk of a Wizarding war the friendship became strained and they grew apart.

Last she had heard Avery and Marcus were dating, clearly moved on from their friendship that lasted first year to third year.

Celeste was pulled out of her thoughts by the sound of students racing up and down the train, running to their friends

She pulled out a pack of cigarettes from her pocket and lit it with an old lighter she had found in her house. She had stolen loads of her mums cigarettes from her secret stash and intended on using them herself but also possibly selling them to other students. Taking a drag from it she stared out the window watching the trees and mountains pass her by.