Four

Thank you everyone who has supported this story! It's hard getting a new story off the ground and I so appreciate all your support!

Happy Reading!

~<>~

The Mage crouched on the scaffolding within the construction of Vortigern's mage tower. She didn't like being so close to the tower, even half completed, she could feel the budding power within tingling along her skin and thickening the air. If she had ever had any doubts about Vortigern's ill intentions they would have been laid to rest just by feeling the residual trace amounts of his greedy power. She wanted to get the Born King and Excalibur and get out as quickly as possible.

While it wasn't her first choice of hiding place, the resistance fighters had chosen the spot for a reason. The edge of the cliff at her back dropped straight down one hundred feet and provided an easy escape. She had never been afraid of heights, but it was a long jump down into the river. Far enough they hoped the Blacklegs wouldn't dare follow when they made their escape. Percival and Rubio had assured her, they had tested the jump and the water below was still deep enough even after the water levels dropped.

The men worried what might happen if they failed and had provided her with the easiest escape if they didn't make it. No one said anything outright, in fact the four resistance fighters had all but ignored her on the trip to Camelot, but she gathered Bedivere had warned them to look out for her. No one wanted to risk Merlin's ire, and Bedivere had made sure everyone was well aware she was his protege.

She crouched low, wrapping herself in the thick cloak she had borrowed. A woman dressed in trousers drew attention and she didn't want to draw attention. She could hear the noise from the crowd just out of sight. Thousands had come to attend the Born King's execution and see if the rumors were true. The large Blacklegs presence made for a somber and fearful crowd, but it was not enough to dissuade the people. The crowd would help them. The more chaos she could create, the easier chance they had for a clean escape.

Two of their men were close to keep an eye on her and guard their escape, but far enough away she couldn't discern their movements from the crowds. She needed to be left alone so she could concentrate.

Distantly, she could hear the captain of the guard mocking Arthur before the gathered crowd. She wondered at his stupidity. Based on the rumors about him, a man like Arthur would not forgive such a slight if he survived. The captain must have been very confident in his position of power over the Born King.

It was time.

The Mage closed her eyes and reached for her eagle. The large raptor was always close at hand. She swept in, dropping swiftly towards the raised dais where the Born King was bound to the executioner's block. She flapped the bird's great wings, driving the man in the black hood away from his axe.

An uneasy murmur went up from the crowd. She broke the connection with the eagle and reached for the Blackleg's horses. The horses formed a line between the dais and the crowd. She slid in and out of them, not staying long enough to directly control individuals, but enough to sow discord. The horses reared, swinging around frantically and the crowd began shouting in fear. The horses broke the line that kept the crowd back.

The Mage touched her eagle's mind once more. People were screaming and panicking as the guards fought to rein in the misbehaving horses. As the horses whirled and kicked Rubio and Percival rushed for the platform.

She drew in a shaky breath and released her eagle. Fatigue wore heavily on her. She had already connected faster and to more animals than she ever had in the last. But she needed to do one last thing. As soon as Rubio and Percival were through, she reached for the guard's dogs that surrounded the platform. They weren't like horses, there was no herd instinct she could drive. Instead she had to go through each individual, inhabiting them. Their loyalty was hard to break, but she pressed her will against their's and she managed to turn them on their masters.