Chapter Twenty: More Than Words

Having your soul thrown back into your body is not a fun experience. Of course, the aching pain and dizziness Malak felt could be from the events preceding his small trip to Heaven. He wasn't sure. All he knew was his body was tired and in pain. It took an extraneous amount of energy for him just to wipe his blurry eyes.

His mate's presence didn't go unnoticed by the small angel. Even when he couldn't see clearly from just waking up, he still knew his mate was right next to him. It provided him comfort, knowing that his demon didn't let anything happen to him. Malak's stomach fluttered when he thought about waking his mate to thank him with kisses; hopefully, it would lead to making out. The angel loved when their kisses went that far, but it never went farther.

Despite this, Malak didn't have the heart to wake his mate up. Through the bond, he could sense the heaviness and exhaustion the demon felt. It made his stomach clench with another feeling – one not as nice as the one before. Rather, it was a gnawing feeling of guilt. He caused his mate to be in this position.

Instead of dwelling on his guilt, Malak decided to figure out where they were. He was in an unfamiliar bed with his demon sitting on a chair next to him. The room was decorated plainly, mostly whites and some tans. Everything looked clean and perfect. Though it was rather compact like there was a limited amount of space to use. However, it lacked the homily feel of his demon and his apartment. Carefully, he sat up, making sure not to wake his mate, and got out of bed. There was no sign of the nephilim nor the fae, which he knew was in a worse condition than he was.

Malak was slightly relieved that Alexander wasn't there. He didn't have the courage to face him alone. However, he wished to see Ellette to make sure she was okay. He walked towards the door before freezing. Finding Ellette meant leaving his mate, and Malak couldn't do that. He already spent too much time away from him. Neither beings could do that again – not for a while at least.

Sighing, the angel went back to his mate. The chair looked uncomfortable, but Malak doubted he was strong enough to move the large demon. Instead, he studied his mate. His eyes soaked in every ounce of his handsome mate while his hand gently touched his face. A small shriek came from the angel as the demon snapped his eyes open, smirking at his short mate.

"Are you enjoying the view, Angel?" He taunted, pulling his mate onto his lap.

The angel's face was covered in a red blush which his demon thought was adorable. "Sorry," the angel bashfully whispered. He couldn't bring himself to look his mate in the eyes after being caught staring at him.

Zion chuckled and pecked his angel's lips. He wasn't going to shame the angel for staring at him. The demon did the same thing to the angel constantly, though he is slier. However, he definitely was going to tease him.

"It's okay, Angel. I know I'm hot," he joked.

Malak groaned from the embarrassment and hid his face in his mate's neck. Obviously, his mate was hot, but he's not going to tell him that. Not right now, at least. "It is mean to tease," he mumbled.

Before Zion could even reply, Malak sat up suddenly, remembering something.

"Is Ellette okay?" He inquired. His embarrassment was already forgotten and replaced with the need to see if his friend was okay. Malak didn't know what he would do if something really, dreadfully, terrible happened to her. Though he was aware that she wouldn't be unscathed, he could still hope she wasn't seriously injured.

The demon's playful expression softened as he gently moved the angel's hair away from his face. He was hoping that he wouldn't have to explain how long his angel had been asleep. It had been three days since, and Ellette healed nicely. Her back ached slightly, but all the wounds healed – well, all the physical ones.

Ellette was struggling with her morals due to the attack. She never thought violence was the answer to anything but being tortured swayed her a bit. Pacifism seemed like a stupid choice in the world she lived in now. Demons and angels were violent creatures, and simply talking with them would do no good. Yes, violence would lead to more violence. However, sometimes it may be the only viable option.

"She's okay now. Nephilim found some strong pain medication and her backs healed," he answered, leaving out how long the angel's been asleep.

Malak titled his head, asking the exact question Zion didn't want to answer: "How is she healed already?"

"Well," he sighed. "You've been asleep for a few days now."

The angel gasped with a slight frown. His thoughts immediately went to his demon. How lonely and worried he must've felt that entire time. He really thought that he'd been out for an hour. He barely talked with Kemuel.

Tears swelled in his blue eyes which Zion swiped away as fast as they appeared. "I am sorry," the angel muttered. "I should have fought the demons sooner. You must have been worried."

"Angel, what you did was incredibly brave. You helped us save Ellette. You have absolutely nothing to feel sorry about," he said firmly.

He sighed: his eyes still watery. The angel still felt guilty but knew the demon didn't blame him. So, there was no point in talking about it anymore. Instead, he decided to switch the topic. "Okay," he whispered, wiping some stray tears away. "Have you found anything about the last horseman?"

"Yes, we found a trail of bodies from California to Mexico. We just got aboard the boat about five hours ago. Maybe a little more," Zion answered.

"Boat? The water thing?" Malak inquired. Zion smiled, shaking his head. He loved his mate's innocence.

The angel sprung out of the demon's lap, smiling with excitement. "I have never been on a boat before, Zion! This is exciting! Come on–" He grabbed his mate's arm– "We must explore everything!"