Chapter One: Blood

Blood covered the secret home of the fae. Everything was red as corpses laid silently on the ground. The cries of those who died loudly rang in Princess Ellette's ears; however, her homeland was filled with deafening silence. She stood frozen as her eyes glanced over her land. Silent tears rolled down her face as she tried to remain silent. The young fae didn't know the cause of the civil war. Whatever caused this could still be here, watching, making sure everyone was dead.

Francis, her tarasque, was somewhere amidst all the chaos. His only goal was to keep the princess safe. Francis didn't like anyone but her. Everyone was afraid of him, though, to be fair, he was quite a sight to see with his lion head, dragon body, turtle shell, six legs with bear claws, and long deadly tail. Anyone who didn't fear him was crazy.

Princess Ellette didn't fear him though. She was the only being who could tame him which is how they started their odd friendship. The tarasque could sense she was a good, pure person, unlike the rest of her kind. He knew she was purer than any other being he'd ever come across. That was enough for him to not attack her. Getting him to actually listen to her was a lot harder. It took them a year of working together for Francis to respect her and listen. In that year, he learned that the fae only had his or her kingdom's best interest at her. To Francis, that was admirable enough for him to follow her orders. However, she didn't order him around a lot; the princess wanted Francis to experience his own freedom without living in fear.

A lone cry snapped the princess out of her trance. She quickly wiped her tears away. Her kingdom was gone. Crying wouldn't bring them back. Nothing would. Her tarasque quickly ran towards her once she whistled to him.

She smiled as Francis licked her face. He was all she had left. Sadly, she knew he couldn't come with her. The tarasque needed to protect her homeland while she tries to find who harmed her people. It would be a dangerous journey, especially since she was by herself. But who else could do it? Everyone was dead or so she thought.

"Goodbye, my friend. I will miss you," she whispered. "Please, do your best to protect what's left." Francis softly purred, promising her he'd do his best. That was enough confirmation for Ellette to leave.

The lonely fae had no clue where she needed to go. She wasn't even sure when she'd be back. Nevertheless, Ellette was determined.

***

Lucifer watched the fae as she made her way into the town. Coincidentally, the same town a certain angel and demon resided in. She looked lost even though she knew more about the modern world than Malak. The fallen angel knew fae hated any life outside nature. They weren't meant for the modern world.

Ellette knew someone was watching her. It was a dark presence that caused her thin body to shiver. If it decided to attack, the princess stood no chance. She had some training, but her father didn't believe she needed it. He thought he'd be able to protect her forever. Or, at least, until she married one of the male warriors. However, they're all dead and she wasn't attracted to men.

Someone grabbed Ellette by the arm and dragged her into a dark alley. She yelped in surprise before trying to break free from their strong grip. After a few seconds, she gave up and looked at the being who grabbed her. The princess gasped in fear as she tried to step back from the demon; however, Lucifer's grip was too strong for her to go anywhere.

"Your highness," she murmured. "Why are you here? Is there something you need?"

Lucifer raised an eyebrow at her. Barley any being called him by his title. Most because they didn't respect him enough. However, unlike those beings, Princess Ellette was raised to always be polite and respectful. Apparently, even if she was afraid.

The fallen angel looked the fae in the eyes with a determined look. She shifted nervously as she waited for him to answer her. Finally, he replied: "Yes, your majesty, I need you."