Blindness & Baking

This might be one of my favorite stories to write yet. Also I don't have much as far as lemons, and AuthorKun77 got the cookies, so have a slice of cheesecake.

We also got 1k, whoop whoop!

"Don't forget to lock up the pantry once you finish. Do you need anything else? Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine Nejire." Ochaco placed her apron on the counter, practically pushing her senior out the door. "Now go, I can handle the shop for the rest of the shift. Asui's sick, Ryuko trusts me so she went home, and it's Friday afternoon, no one's going to come in."

"Well, I suppose. But you have my number just in case." Nejire tapped her phone at lightning speed, then grabbed her scarf off the coat rack.

"Once again, stop stressing." Ochaco admired Nejire's fondness of her and Asui, like an older sister, but that tenderly love could also suffocate someone. "I mean, you COULD stay if you want to tell me the name of the person for the date. Which one of those college boys was it, Mirio Togata or Tamaki Amajiki?"

"Alright, bye~" The blue haired girl quickly left, leaving nothing but the chime of the door bell on her way out.

"That's what I thought." Ochaco grabbed a washcloth and began wiping down the tables. It hasn't been long since she picked up the job, she knew immediately that college tuition was going to tear her apart. While most of the costs got covered by scholarships and grants, she couldn't live in the dorms off of cup ramen noodles and peanut butter sandwiches. Thankfully, her long time friend Asui put in a good word with Nejire and Ryuko, who started a year before her.

Customer service...wasn't typically ideal. Especially at a well-known bakery as Ryukyu's Bakery. The college campus wasn't too far, the flow of traffic was steady, and early mornings could be a lot more difficult. Overwhelming, disrespectful, messy, all words she could describe her first week. From adding too much sugar to someone's expresso or clumsily dropping a tray of blueberry muffins, she convinced herself that she would be instantly terminated. But with a lot of help from Nejire and Asui, under Ryuko's watchful eye, she felt more composed and confident to tackle any situation.

And so, her weekly routine would begin. Though she worked every day, she had a schedule set out each lazy Friday, since most students or workers either partied or studied on Fridays. She cleans the floor, check their stock on ingredients and email it at the end of her shift, while finishing any leftover homework. Professor Nighteye could care less about your personal life, his paper on Economics had to be turned in on time or else.

As she shuffled through her notebook, she heard the chime on the oven. Putting on her apron and grabbing her mitts, she opened the door to the fresh aroma of chocolate brownies. "This feeling never gets old." Taking out the tray, she kicks the door close with the heel of her foot before hearing the door bell.

"One sec! Welcome to Ryukyu's Bakery! Please take a look at the menu!" Be efficient, hold conversation, take mental notes. She heard tapping sounds, before it abruptly stopped. Being a waiter required her to focus on making the experience a memory. After placing the tray on a cooling rack, she rushed out the kitchen, nearly crashing into the cash register.

"Sorry about that, what can I get you. Did you see something you like on the menu?"

"Actually, I was hoping you could help me with that."

"I'm sorry?" She looked up for the first time to see the customer she was working with. The first thing she noticed were an abundant of fluffy green hair, atop an average face with freckles. Pale green eyes, a deep scar across the right one. Checkered shirt, along with a dark green hoodie and ripped jeans. He rested his right hand on the countertop, his left hand holding a red and white cane.