CHAPTER THREE

chapter three; Lip Gloss

Point Place, Wisconsin

May 17th, 1976

11:02 p.m.

Location: Point Place Water Tower

AFTER THAT INCIDENT, Diana had involuntarily taken to avoiding Hyde. No longer did she sit on his lap when he took her chair (her chair. Her basement, her chair.), instead smooshing herself next to her brother. She'd sit outside in her father's garage more often, and had taken to hanging out with Kelso more so than anyone else, much to his younger girlfriend's obvious distaste.

Of course, when the term 'hanging out' is used in reference to Diana Forman and Michael Kelso, it not so subtly implies doing very, very questionable and undoubtedly stupid shit, like painting a marijuana leaf on the water tower. Which is where their friends eventually found them.

•'_'•

"Diana, come down!"

Donna's voice rang through the night, up to the two teens shoving each other away from the drawing of the pot leaf. Diana finally got her hands again on the can of spray paint, glow-in-the-dark for the viewers' comfort, and set off to complete the last limbs of the leaf, ignoring her brother and best friend on the ground. Just as she finished, proudly puffing out her chest and high-fiving Kelso, a voice sounded, much closer than the others, from her immediate left.

"Alright, you did well, now get down before you hurt yourself."

Hyde leaned against the wall of the water tower, something which probably served as an effort to look cool, while at the same time allowed him to stay as far away from the railing as possible. Kelso didn't share his sentiments, instead nearly folding himself in half over the rusted metal.

"Yeah, D, can't believe I'm saying this but I'd like you to live to see seventeen!" At that, Diana groaned and lurched forward, startling Hyde into action. He grabbed her waist and yanked her back into his chest, away from that which spelled out her imminent doom.

"I'd rather die now, happy and accomplished, than suffer through mom's surprise birthday party!" Being completely honest, Eric couldn't disagree. Neither could any of their friends.

Kelso thoughtfully leaned a little forward, "I wonder if I'll die if I fall from here." Hyde, unable to resist the open invitation, did what Steven Hyde does best; manipulate the shit out of his dumbest best friend.