the last great american dynasty

Amelia opened the old attic door, creaking with every slight movement. Her mother had said she was old enough to go up to the attic and explore, so she was ecstatic.

Once pulling down the ladder and climbing up the old, wooden material, she was finally up in the attic. She's wondered what's in here for her whole life, and now she finally gets to know.

"Amelia! Be careful please!" Her mother shouts from downstairs.
"Will do Mom!"

Random things filled up the room. Ranging from old boxes and lamps, but one thing caught Amelia's eye.

A small brown book. It was covered in dust, but after wiping that layer of tears away, she noticed the words saying 'Rebecca's Diary.'

Curiosity got the best of the teenage girl, and though she knew it would be an invasion of privacy, she just couldn't hold back. She took the book in her arms and climbed down the ladder to her living room.

She placed the old book on the clean surface of the living room table. Amelia opened up the raggedy old book to the many diary entries of this woman named Rebecca Harkness.

She read about Miss Harkness and about her wonderful life. She read about a big house on the coast of St. Louis. Her house.

The more Amelia read about this fantastical woman, the more attached to her felt.

Once she got to the very end, her mother walked in, her blue eyes focusing on her daughter and the book.
"Amelia, where'd you find that?" She asked, smiling softly.
"I found in the attic! Did Rebecca Harkness live here too, Mom?"

Her mom laughs softly, "Yeah, she did. Your grandmother actually moved here after Rebecca, and was very inspired with her story."

Amelia smiled softly at her mother, excited to learn about her grandmother. Since her untimely death, her mother hadn't really talked much about her, and she was so excited to learn more about her.