Chapter 8

•••

•••

Ella removed her shoes in the entrance as she closed the door. Her parents were sat at the table.

She wondered what Peter felt to left so abruptly. He told her that when his sense alerted him, it was when an upcoming danger was about to hit him. But on the rooftop of her building, they were safe. So if he felt a danger miles away, it must be pretty big and dangerous. Her stomach twisted at the thought. She hoped he would be alright.

"Peter left already?" Mrs. Cadogan asked when she saw her daughter coming back.

"Yeah, he, uh, something came up," Ella lied. There was no way she would tell them why he left. "His aunt needed him for something,"

"Your boyfriend is truly something," Mr. Cadogan said as he took a spoon of his dish.

Ella looked at him. She knew perfectly well what he meant. She knew it wasn't a compliment. But she, too, didn't like the way the diner ended. She especially did not like the way her father got so upset so fast. Yes, he didn't like the vigilante. But she never saw him this upset. And Peter wasn't even offensive. Her father didn't even let him a chance that he shut him down.

"What was that earlier?" Ella asked crossing her arms, unpleased. Mr. Cadogan lifted his eyebrows as he looked at her.

"I should be asking you that, Ella," he said, leaning onto the table. "You don't have the best taste in boys,"

"Or maybe you don't like when someone holds his opinion against you," she shot back.

"Peter was the one being disrespectful,"

"Disrepectful?" She scoffed. She had to stop herself from rolling her eyes. "So just because he has a different opinion than you about something, he is being disrespectful?"

Her father only bitterly chuckled.

"I am not the one who put his blood and soul to defend a criminal," Charles reasoned. "It tells me a lot about your lover,"

"Peter is hurt and frustrated, can't you see that?!" Ella exclaimed. It was very infuriating to see her father judging the boy she loved so quickly. "He just lost his uncle and the murderer is still out there! He just thinks that the vigilante is another help to find him, that's all,"

"So criminality is the way?" Mr. Cadogan asked. Ella ran a hand in her hand in frustration. It was as if her father refused to listen. "That guy behave recklessly and as he pleases. We have laws and he must respect them,"

"Spider-Man is not a criminal," Ella defended."Maybe if you would at least take the time observe him you would know! He has never assaulted any civilian! He only fights criminals! If it wasn't for him I would be dead by now!"

"What?" Mr. Cadogan said, confused.

Realization hit Ella as she mentally cursed. It was the one thing she must keep to herself. And she gave it away. Peter nor Spider-Man would surely not be the matter now. She was screwed.