Chapter 5: Like To Stay Busy

Look out for the <>!

My calendar in front of me clearly displayed the list of things I had for this week. Every hour of every day had something from reading a new book I bought to being with dad on this internship. There was lot on it, but I didn't want to miss anything. So long days were going to be my summer.

"Hey, how was your weekend?" Tad asked as he walked up and sat next to me on the bench overlooking the practice stadium.

My gaze switched from my phone to Tad. I smiled as I thought about my two break days. The work week may have been busy, but my weekend was open, just the way I wanted it. Honestly, my weekend was not as long as I wished it were. "It was ok."

Tad nodded as he looked at the schedule on my phone screen. "Wow, someone's busy. Is that your dad's schedule?" he asked as he pointed to it.

I shook my head as I put my phone into my pocket, away from his eyes, fearing he would judge my schedule too harshly. "Nah, it's mine."

He looked at me in disbelief. "What do you do with your time?"

I chuckled as I thought about it. I thrived on busy schedules for as long as I could remember, but I knew some people hated it. Most people did, so that was why I kept it to myself. "I like to stay busy."

"That much is clear."

Before he poked fun at my schedule anymore, I quickly changed to topic. "Have you ever seen Everett outside practice?"

Tad shook his head. "I think I had run into almost all the other football players, even hooked up with one or two of them last year. But Everett, he is something of a rare bird. I heard he doesn't go out much and he for sure doesn't go to many parties. In fact, I have never seen him outside of practice or games."

I wanted to ask him about who he hooked up with, but I figured Everett was more important for the time being. For now, I would have to shelve that question. But I did want to know. "I ran into Everett on Saturday."

He raised his eyebrows as a smile appeared on his face. "Oh, you did? How?"

"I was out doing a yoga class in Upper Arlington with my mom."

After class started, he left quietly. I thought things would change once I saw him today, but since practice started, he hadn't made eye contact with me. I would say he was avoiding me even. It made me feel confused. He was so eager to talk to me at yoga but now he pretended like I didn't exist. It made my blood boil.

"Oh, that's an interesting development, especially when we offer yoga for the team already."

Now, that was an interesting statement. If we offered it, why did he participate in the one that mainly had middle-aged mothers in it. "Does he do the yoga offered by the team?"

He nodded. "Goes every Friday, like clockwork."

I frowned as I thought about it. Something wasn't adding up to me, and what bothered me was that I cared. I hated him, so I didn't understand why I wanted to know what was going through his mind. But a part of me thought that maybe if I knew, I could get through to him and help my father because I knew Everett was his main concern at this moment.

"Did he talk to you while you were there doing yoga?"

He was so eager to speak to me there, but here, he hadn't even made eye contact with me. It was as if he was a completely different person. "He introduced himself to me as if I didn't know him, as if he hadn't seen me here every day last week. Could you believe it?"

He chuckled as he shook his head. "That sounds like something he would do."

"It does? " Tad knew Everett more than I did and I wanted to know more. "I just wonder why he was there."