Chapter 19: Haven't Noticed

Look out for the <>!

"Everett told me he isn't coming to practice today. Said he doesn't feel good," dad said as he talked to Tyler about training the Monday after the party.

I looked up from my phone as this conversation suddenly became more interesting. Dad and I both knew the true reason why he wouldn't come in. He was still recovering from that beating he took over the weekend. Everett already told dad he would be at practice tomorrow, but I wasn't convinced that would happen. I cleaned his face and knew he would need some time to recover from that.

Tyler nodded casually, not asking for more details. "That's fine. I can focus on Ethan and Rick today."

"Sounds like a plan, Stan."

Tyler grinned at the comment. "Is there anything else you need from me?"

Dad shook his head. "Nope. I think you are good to see those boys for training."

"Cool," he said then left the office, leaving me and dad alone in the room.

Dad looked up at me and sighed. His eyes looked tired; however, I don't think anyone besides me would notice. He turned to his papers. "Well, I have little for you to do today since we will study plays of the past."

I nodded as I reached for my backpack which had a mound of homework in it. "That's fine, I'll just stick around just in case. I'll study here in the office if you don't mind since I have a test tomorrow." I would admit, I felt relieved I could cocoon myself in the office and focus on my never-ending schoolwork.

"Great. And I'll just say this again: you don't need to come here every day. If you need to work on school, I understand."

I smiled as I thought about all the joys I had for the last few weeks. I enjoyed coming in every day even if I was busy. It was exciting, and I had built some good friendships here. "I know, but I enjoy coming here."

He chuckled as he stood from his desk. "Never thought I would hear you, out of all people, say that. Who are you and where did my football hating daughter go?"

I smirked. "I still hate football. But that doesn't mean I hate the players."

He smiled one more time before leaving the office, allowing me to study in peace.

In the room's silence, I pulled out my notebook and thumbed through it, reviewing all the notes I took. Minutes passed as I continued to read through the hasty handwriting, reminding me I needed to work on my handwriting. I wondered why my notes got increasingly worse as the pages went on. With vague messages, I wished I paid more attention. Maybe I should have attended office hours instead of being here at least once in a while.

I let out an exasperated sigh, finally frustrated with my poor note taking. I stood up and stretched. Enough studying, I needed to clear my mind. Hastily, I packed my notes back into my bag. My only prayer would be to secure at least a B on the test. 

I swung the backpack over my shoulders then walked out of the office. Slowly, I wandered through the halls, unsure where I was going. Finally, I found myself on the field watching Tyler work with a group of players.

I never really talked much to Tyler, but as I watched him interact with them, I could see he loved the sport just as much as dad did. He talked with enthusiasm and glitter in his eyes, as if this was the most important thing he could do. 

I just hoped that once I graduated, I would find something just as purposeful in my life. 

"So how was going to Everett's place the other night?" Tad asked with a grin as he walked over to me.