1.5

You're the only thing that I think I got I right

I'll never give you away

Lover of Mine -5 Seconds of Summer

The next morning, John B gathered us all on the porch. 

"Sherrif Peterkin stopped by this morning while you guys were out." He said, looking at JJ and I. "I'm calling it off."  

"What'd she want?" I asked. 

"Said if we stay off the marsh she'll help me with DCS." He told us. 

"And you believed her?" JJ asked, causing us all to turn and look at him. 

"Yes I believe her, JJ." John B said. I turned in my seat besides Kie and watched as JJ tossed a ball in the air, catching it over and over again. 

"An actual cop, John B. You believed a cop?" 

"All I gotta do is stay out of the marsh for a couple days and she'll help us out. I won't have to go into foster care." John B told him as JJ moved from the table he was sitting on. "It doesn't help that your ass is the one shooting a gun." 

"You know what I should've done? Just let Topper drown your ass." JJ said. I rolled my eyes and watched John B.

"Yeah, because Topper was gonna drown me." John B told him.

"Sure looked like it." I said, sticking up for JJ. "If JJ hadn't done that, Topper wasn't going to stop, JB." 

"Funny." John B said, looking down at me. 

"I mean, have you looked in a mirror?" JJ asked him, walking over to us. 

"Tell me more. Come on." John B goaded him. 

"They always win, don't they, man?" JJ looked at him, leaning against the wooden pool. "Kooks versus Pogues. They always, always win! Goddamn." He punched the floaty hanging from the poles. 

"Look, it's okay!" Kie said, trying to calm him down.

"No, it's not!" JJ said, turning to her. "It's not okay! They don't want us to go down into the marsh. That means there's something valuable down there, and you know it." He pointed at John B.

He turned and looked at Pope. "And I understand why you don't wanna go. You're the golden boy. You got way too much to risk. And you--" He set his eyes on Kie and I. "I mean, you're already rich as fuck, anyway. Why would you bother?" 

"But us, we don't have anything to lose, man. We really don't, alright?" JJ finished, staring at John B, his hand on my shoulder. 

"JJ, man." John B said. 

"And I know it didn't use to be that way for you both." JJ squeezed my shoulder.

"I don't wanna talk about this." John B said to him. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"So that's it?" JJ asked as John B walked towards him. 

"Just get out of my way, bro." John B shoved passed him. 

"John B, listen to me. I have a plan." JJ started. "You got the key to Cameron's big boat, right?"

"No." 

"There's scuba gear inside of it. We just borrow that, and then we go down to the wreck this afternoon, and that is what's gonna save you, man." JJ said, walking over to John B and grabbing his shoulders as he spoke. "You don't see rich kids going into foster care, do you?"