𝟓𝟐| 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞

-HER-

Tonight couldn't have been more stranger. After Romulus disappeared in LEVEL 1, I decided to ask Filth if he had any idea what was going on but when I found him he was already busy moving things around. Though that wasn't going to stop me from interrogating him.

I tried to ask him about that incident earlier in the evening when we were surrounded by all those men in the dock but he didn't dare open his mouth. I was already enough frustrated tonight.

To stop myself from being driven crazy, I decided to go to bed otherwise I was afraid that I might go down in LEVEL 1, or even LEVEL 3 (if that's what was required) and hold Romulus with his collars and shake him and demand from him to tell me anything... something.

Even though I went to bed, I still found it hard to fall asleep. I just couldn't help but keep thinking about that strange events and about the Lockharts. In had started to rain gently outside and even though it was quite late already, I could hear Filth and Romulus doing something downstairs.

I would often hear Romulus telling Filth to do this or that. I tossed around in the bed for quite some time that night before finally falling into sleep sometime around morning.

I woke up late the next day feeling pissed off. At first, Filth refused to serve me breakfast because it was already too late but after threatening him with his life and stealing a couple of things from kitchen, I finally went to LEVEL 1 to start my day even though I knew that I was absolutely late.

A pile of work was already waiting for me when I found myself in LEVEL 1. I was expecting Romulus to berate me for coming so late to work. It was noon! But he didn't waste his precious time in doing so. He simply told me what I needed to do as soon as he saw me.

Grumpily, I got to work. It was a hell lot of work. He had already scribbled out two full pages of things I needed to do already. I was shocked at the amount that he had given me to do I did my best to get through the list but whenever I crossed off two things from the list, he would add four more things to the list soon.

I tried to ask him why there was so much work all of a sudden but he wouldn't answer me. He only told me to get back to work and that we didn't have much time to waste today. I couldn't have been feeling crankier.

If I thought that I was busy then Filth was Sisyphus. Romulus didn't even give him the time to breathe. I could only wonder how Filth managed to get all that done and be sane at the same time. Romulus made us work even after sunset so I had to ask him—

"Since we missed it yesterday, are we going to have my lessons tonight?" I asked him while he was checking some of the work that I had done.

"No," He replied curtly, without taking his eyes off of the papers.

"Why not?" I asked.

"I don't have the time tonight,"

"What about tomorrow?"

"No,"

"Day after tomorrow?"

"Your lessons are suspended for a few days," He told me curtly while collecting the paper and keeping them away.

"Why? Is it because of last night? Are you up to something? It seems like you wish to get a month's worth of work get done within one day,"

"No," Was all he said, going through a stack of papers and making sure that I had gotten all of the things done. I was tired after today's long day of work. It was already time for dinner, yet a few more things were remaining to be done.

"Or is it because of me?" I asked him, slightly leaning into him. Instantly, I felt his body grow slightly tense but he still didn't stop what he was doing. Even though he was pretending to be looking through the papers urgently, I knew that his attention was on me.

"Are you mad at me for last night?" I asked him when he didn't answer anything. I kept leaning more and more into him until there was hardly an inch left between us. I asked next, "Are you going to send me back for this, Romulus?"

I was about to give up and turn away when he didn't answer and kept going though the papers. But all of a sudden, he placed his hand at the back of my waist. I straightened up at this and to take me off completely, he took a huge step closer to me until there was no space between us.

"I'm not mad at you," He spoke to me with such a gentle tone that it gave me butterflies in the stomach, "It's just the situation we are in and..." He trailed off, caressing my cheekbones, "I've decided to never send you back, Ophelia," With that, he united our lips and I melted into his arms like wax right away. As he deepened the kiss, I wrapped my arms around his neck while his arms tightened around my waist.

All of a sudden, I didn't want to let go of him. His arms were starting to grow more and more familiar to me. They made me feel at peace and safe. They were starting to make me feel more at home than my aunt's house. I'd hate to go back after all this. His words only made me want to tell him how much I wanted him and wanted to be with him because he gave me something to look forward to.

And sure he did.

The next day was busier than the last. From all I could make out with the things that Romulus was making me and Filth do, I figured that he was planning to go somewhere. I was dying to ask him where but I didn't have to.

It was around lunch when Romulus relieved me from work and told me to go and rest. But not before telling me, "Be prepared tonight,"

_

thanks for reading and happy new year in advance <3