Allies

Floor 12

Third Person pov

"I know these people, if you go it alone, their first move is going to be to hunt you down. Both of you."

Haymitch was convincing Katniss to accept the concept of allies. It wasn't going so well.

"Katniss, come on." Peeta nudged, he was always more the people person.

"How could any of us even trust each other?'' She said after a moment's silence.

"It's not about trust. It's about staying alive."

He stood up and pointed a remote at the tv.

"Cashmere and Gloss." He said, referencing the blonde couple on the TV set. "Brother and sister, District 1. They won back to back games, capital favorites, lots of sponsors, they will be lethal."

He pointed the remote again, and a terrifying woman with sharp teeth appeared next to a broad-shouldered man.

"And the other half of the career pack: Brutas and Enobaria."

"What's with her teeth?" Katniss questioned, slightly horrified.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip peoples throats out." Haymitch simply answered.

"She's committed, I'll give her that." Peeta added.

"Wiress and Beetee." He clicked the remote again. "Not fighters, but brilliant. And weird. Real tech savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once."

Both Katniss and Peeta raised their eyebrows in surprise and glanced at each other. When they looked back, a new face is smiling at them through the TV set.

"Finnick Odair, right?" But Katniss already knew the answer.

"Yes, he won his games at fourteen, youngest ever, extremely... humble."

"You're kidding."

Haymitch scoffed.

"Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's the capitol darling, they love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled in combat, especially in water."

"Who's his district partner?" Katniss inquired, looking for a weakness.

"Isla Crawford." Haymitch switched the image to one of a black haired young woman volunteering at the reaping.

"I remember her." Peeta spoke, leaning forward. "She's the dancer, right?"

"Exactly right. The Capitol essentially trained her psyche to react to music with combat. The gamemakers had a lot of fun that year. They'd play music, to induce a battle. You wanna talk about abolishing free will? She's case number one."

"How did they—" Katniss started.

"No one knows, not even herself. So believe me, don't ask. However, she and Finnick are always at each other's side. You want one as an ally? They're a package deal."