30. Let Me Help You Change

"Xie Yun." A'Fei realized the Xie Yun had fallen asleep. She realized that between coming to MeiLi and keeping an eye on Mr. Bai's safety, Xie Yun had not rested well. She took a few wrong turns, turned about here and there but finally found a familiar path. After a a day and a night did he come about.

"Where are we."

"Somewhere." she shrugged, kicking the horse to rush it now that Xie Yun wasn't leaning on her back.

"We are going in the right direction at least, " she elbowed him at that remark and he oomph-ed at her neck.

"A'Fei. I just woke up." She felt Xie Yun's hands covering hers, warm and soft unlike hers windblown and dry. Her shoulder felt a soft jab of his chin without its weight.

"Rest." he took the reigns from her. She shook her head and tightened the reigns.

She got down once the horse stopped and stretched. After a round of Jeishi, she said, "We are not being followed and there is no one here. Even if I am on the road to Penglai, we aren't going there. Now, where are we going exactly?"

Xie Yun stepped down after her, getting water for the horse he stretched much like A'Fei.

"Heroes' City," she gave a small nod and he continued, "we will scout the shore city first. I suspect White Tiger's men are already in place and will want to trap us at the island."

"But we will not turn up." he nodded at her conclusion.

"They will wait some more since they know not more than that and we will be in Heroes' City long before they realize it was a feint."

"Why do you want to scout the shore city?"

"Someone will try to act like they are from 48 stronghold having intercepted that letter and accompany us." A'Fei looked at Xie Yun. Really looked. He had thought of everything. What a formidable opponent he would make to the emperor. She realized that whenever he talked about taking a place in the court or taking the throne, he wasn't simply saying it, he could do it.

"Are you sure you don't want to be the emperor?"

"Only if you want to be a consort." She rolled her eyes, caught his lapels, pulled him down and kissed him.

"Shall I take that as a yes?" he asked breathlessly pulling apart and this time she punched his stomach.

"You are better off as a bandit." She ignored him and climbed up, kicked the horse and set off running. Air rose around her, worse than a horse kick and he descended behind her. His hands around her waist, roaming here and there but she didn't stop him. She knew she needed it. She needed the reassurance of his presence.

It was middle of the night when they reached the shore city. They knocked on the doors of the restaurant that A'Fei knew was 48 stronghold secret service.

"Is all well Madam Zhou?" Xie Yun felt like shivering at that address and looked about the place while she placed her instruction upon the person.

No imposter would know this was stronghold secret service. So, there was no way they could come by the imposter here. They would come by him or her in the streets. It would be someone they were familiar with enough to take them along on the trip but not familiar enough to be suspicious of their behavior. This person, he knew would be the common link between White Tiger and A'Fei.

With the way White Tiger had appeared before them, trying to flirt with A'Fei and proposing marriage. He knew they had met before, as nameless strangers. With A'Fei's character she wouldn't remember but he did. He would portray someone that was a common link between them. There has to be someone, someone from whom White Tiger had learned about A'Fei a little.