28. The Contrary Hearts

Marina found the painkillers and Damir dry-swallowed a couple of pills. Then he tossed on the dirt floor until his body assumed the least painful position. Marina cradled his head in her lap, withdrawing into a sort of stupor. Only her hand moved to stroke Damir's hair.

"I envy her," Volya confessed to Nadezhda. "She seems completely unbothered by our sorry reality."

Maybe if he had Liam with him, he wouldn't mind the uncertainty, boulders under his ass and stuff. Unfortunately, he was here, Liam was miles away and he couldn't even text his excuses.

Nadezhda stirred. "Don't worry. I'll get you out of here in time. Once Kramola cools down, I'll go talk to her."

Her words poured balm on Volya's aching soul. The strain on his lower back eased—to put it mildly. Actually, his spine collapsed with relief, his head drooped. He found Nadezhda's hand. She squeezed his fingers firmly, infusing him with confidence.

His sister would take care of Kramola and he could get to L.A. in time to see Liam off. If anyone could set things right, it was Nadezhda. She was a shaman. She knew Kramola far better than anyone, not that it was that hard to figure Kramola out. The things that made her tick were pretty simple, same as him. Same as him...

With a sigh, Volya straightened. "It has to be me."

"Don't be such a drama queen."

"You wish." Volya pushed to his feet, keeping a hold of her hand, so he ended up taking the knee. Somehow it felt appropriate. "But that's what you have foreseen, haven't you?"

Nadezhda lifted her eyes at him. "What's Hope without Will to advance it? What's Will if it's not tried by Dissent?"

These rhetoric questions would look really good on a mug. "Precisely."

"Good luck then," Nadezhda said.

Volya nodded and stood up. He glanced at the two humans. Damir was fast asleep. Marina had perceived their exchange on some level of consciousness though, because she offered him a tight nod. "Good luck, Volya."

"Yeah." He had an inkling that his sheepish grin profaned the solemnity of the moment. "Could you do me a favor and hide the gun? Just in case?"

Marina ruffled Damir's hair absently, sending a needle of longing through Volya's chest. Liam used to do the same to him all the time. "I'll bury it with the bones for all eternity."

"Okay." He shoved his hands into his pockets and wiggled his toes for a good measure.

Nadezhda's gaze swiveled to his feet. "Great. Now you're properly psyched up."

"Abso-frigging-lutely."

Volya walked down the narrow windy passage, wondering what to say.

Greeting, kin-sisters! I come in peace. The mist-wolf offered with his typical willingness to help.

That advice was the reason why Volya had a moronic grin on his face when the sentinels by the entrance stepped in front of him. One of them had less success than the three others in hiding her distaste.

"What do you want?" she asked sharply.

"Greeting, kin-sis—" Volya sputtered and nearly self-immolated from embarrassment, while the mist-wolf howled with laughter. "Ah. I need to talk to Kramola."

The sentry sounded almost disappointed. "Surrendering so soon?"

White-hot anger flashed through Volya. He suppressed his growl, curled fingers inward so if his talons sprouted, they would pierce his palms instead of someone's jugular.