REMEMBRANCE

" They went with songs to the battle, they were young, straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow

they were young, straight of limb,
true of eye, steady and aglow. They
were staunch to the end against odds
uncounted; they fell with their faces
to the foe. "

—— laurence binyon

﹙𝒆𝒙𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒔𝒖𝒎𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒚! ﹚ ✧ ₊˚ˑ༄ؘ ──────────

Orelia found that she was once kind. That at some point she could find herself genuinely smiling at those around her because she wanted to, not because she had to. That tears would fall when blood was shed and that sleep would be loss over the fallen. But now, with no sleep in sight and more blood on her hands than ever, Orelia found herself numb to most pain.

She learned that no one could truly keep her safe. That promises where always broken and in the end there was no one she could trust besides herself.

And she blamed the Hunger Games for this realization.

Getting thrown into the games was one thing, but getting thrown in at 15 and knowing that not one person expected a victory from her was another. Orelia fought night and day in that arena with no support besides the small tune she could hear as the wind rustled against the leaves.

But Orelia hadn't lost sleep over her victory, no. The occurrence that found its way into her nightmares and refused to stray was what happened as a mentor. The act of leading young children and teenagers to their slaughter. That is what keeps Orelia up at night.

The crushing weight of knowing that the odds were in fact never in their favor but having to keep up the ruse for the safety of her own family. It was maddening.

So, when the 75th Hunger Games are announced, Orelia is ready. Because this is her chance and the fire inside of her has never burned brighter.