𝖎𝖛. allies and arrows



. ALLIES AND ARROWS

Katniss Everdeen sat at the glass table in her room next to Peeta Mellark, the two sitting as Haymitch Abernathy poured himself a drink. "I want you guys to forget everything you think you know about the games. Last year was child's play. This year, you're dealing with all experienced killers." Peeta nodded, moving a bit to get more comfortable. "All right. What does that mean for us?"

"That means you're gonna have to have some allies." Haymitch responded. Peeta just turned towards Katniss. "Okay. I think that if..." Haymitch put a hand up, cutting the boy off. "Whoop. You're not the problem." He pointed down at Katniss who just looked back up at him. "No."

Haymitch sighed, sitting down as he was already thinking it would be a long night. "Look, you're starting at a disadvantage. Most of these people have been friends for years." Katniss frowned. "That just puts us higher on their kill list."

"Do it your own way, but I know these people. You go it alone, their first move is gonna be to hunt you down. Both of you." Haymitch finished. "Katniss, come on." Peeta spoke softly, looking the girl in the eyes. After a moment she shifted her attention back to Haymitch. "How could any of us even trust each other?"

Haymitch shook his head. "It's not about trust. It's about staying alive. Let me show you the tributes." He stood up, slightly wavering because of his drunken state.

The two young victors followed Haymitch into the living room, sitting together on a white couch as Haymitch moved up next to a screen. "Cashmere and Gloss. Brother and sister. District 1. They won back-to-back games. Capitol favorites. Lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." He changed the screen. "And the other half of the Career Pack. Brutus and Enobaria."

"What's with her teeth?" Katniss questioned, looking at the screen in confusion and disgust. "She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out." Haymitch responded, a bit disturbed himself. "She's committed. I'll give her that." Peeta commented.

Haymitch switched the screen again. "Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters, but brilliant. And weird. Real tech-savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once." He changed the screen again. "District 6. The Morphlings. Masters of camouflage. Basically, won their games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self-medicating ever since. Which I applaud. Not a threat."

He changed the screen again to District 4 and Katniss was quick to catch who'd been chosen as the male tribute. "Finnick Odair, right?" Haymitch nodded. "Yes. He won his games at 14. Youngest ever. Extremely humble."

"You're kidding." Katniss deadpanned, Haymitch nodded once more. "Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock. A total preener. But he's the Capitol darling. They love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled at combat. Especially in water." Peeta leaned forward. "What about weaknesses?"