six

He could hear the footsteps miles away. He knew he was being followed, knew who it was by the way the footsteps thundered purposefully, but he wanted to ignore it. Perhaps if he ignored them, his stalker would leave him alone. It didn't hurt to wish.

"I know you can hear me."

Well, so much for wishing.

Matt just hummed and continued walking. He could tell that it was getting dark out. The wind was getting more chilly and the suns comforting rays weren't on his face anymore. Give or take it was almost seven in the evening. Time for dinner.

The footsteps were getting closer.

"Can I help you with something, Mr. Hale?"

An amused huff was all the response Matt got from the other man. He frowned in annoyance and sped up his walking, not even bothering to tap his cane on the ground. His house was only ten minutes away. He was almost there.

"You can't run away from me."

"I can certainly try," Matt mutters, seriously considering breaking into a full blown sprint just to get home quicker. But, knowing Derek and his werewolfness, he'd catch up quickly anyway.

Matt tenses slightly as he feels a warm presence finally catch up to him, hand seemingly reaching for him before pulling away. Matt catches himself leaning into the warmth, he leans away with a scowl.

"What are you so scared of, Murdock?"

At that, Matt heaves a harsh sigh out through his nose. He was getting irritated. "Respectfully, Hale, that is none of your business."

An amused huff. "Respectfully, Murdock," Derek starts, mockingly, "It is my business. You're in Beacon Hills, and the Hale pack are responsible for these lands."

"I thought Mr. McCall was the alpha?" His house was so close. Maybe he could let Derek talk all he wanted then slam the door on Derek's face.

"He is, but the Hale pack have been protecting Beacon Hills for centuries, it won't change because a Hale isn't leading the pack. My point is, if there's something that you think is dangerous around these parts, you need to let us know. We can't have things wrecking havoc amongst the town."

He was in front of his house. "Well, luck is on your side Hale, I know nothing of dangers in this town, other than the hunters that tried to kill your whole pack the other day. If I'm correct to assume, you've already began investigating that. I have no need to be involved in this. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need some rest." Matt opened the door and turned quickly, ready to slam it close.

He was unable due to a hand holding the door open. Try as he might, he wasn't able to overpower the werewolf in strength. Matt let out a small growl, and was about to start physically kicking Derek out as his patience was stretched thin.

"We are not trying to antagonize you, Murdock," Derek says, voice stern but not mocking. "You've gotten yourself into this mess, I–we are trying to make sure you survive it. We are not your enemies."

Matt heaved an annoyed sigh. "Yeah, well. I can take care of myself. Good day, Mr. Hale." Thankful for Derek's lack grip when he started talking, Matt was finally able to shut the door closed. He sighs in relief and locks it extensively. He knows Derek is still outside his door but he pays it no mind as he drops his can and briefcase on the floor and walks upstairs to the bathroom.

He mechanically showers and dresses ready for bed. It is still to early, he hasn't even had dinner yet, but the conversation with Derek exhausted him. He approaches his bed and falls into it.

As he slips into a deep sleep, he dreams of home.

——
hi? omfg im so sorry. its been a year, i know. truth be told, i have no clue where i wanted to initially go with this story. but alas, ive gotten a few ideas. sorry for the short chapter, but i wanted to give you all something for the holidays. anyways! this is non-canon compliant. the teen wolf movie shall not even remotely influence this fic lol.

anyways! tell me what you would like to see?
-jackie