Chapter 8: Memory

Isabela recapped all the events that happened after she went missing, making Mirabel feel bad for leaving in the first place. "I'm sorry for leaving, I just felt like you all would blame me for the magic dying and Casita falling," Mirabel said, looking into her older sister's eyes. Isabela grabbed her hand and said, "that day, you showed me that I was able to be myself and didn't have to be perfect. I didn't treat you the way I should've. I will admit, I still feel guilty for you leaving, but I wanted to do some good in the village, something I could do without powers. So, I started planting." Isabela gestured around the village, with tiny gardens at different places. "Each day, I walk around town and plant flowers, from roses to orchids. Over time, I started to learn all the people's names, old and young. The kids love to learn about the different plants and flowers, which I teach them about," Isabela said as she put a hand on Mirabel's shoulder. "You taught me that it wasn't the abilities of a person that made them special, it was their kindness and compassion towards each other." Hearing these words, Mirabel teared up.

After that conversation, Bruno showed up with Valeria beside him, arm in arm. "And this is where I used to live. There's nothing there now, but there used to be a giant hou-" Bruno couldn't finish his sentence without being hugged by Isabela. "Tío Bruno...," Isabela said to him, as she released him from her hug, "where have you been the last twenty years? Did you come with Mirabel?" "Well technically I was still in the house for ten years, but once it collapsed, me and Mirabel went to live in a village far away. That is where I met my wife. Isabela, I would like you to meet Valeria." Bruno gestured to his wife, who held out her hand for a handshake, which Isabela accepted. "It's so nice to finally meet you. I have heard you were a very special child growing up." Valeria said, with her naturally raspy voice. "Well it's nice to meet you too. You two must be tired from your trip. Please, let me take you to my home so you can rest, as long as that's fine with you." Bruno looked over at Mirabel, which she nodded at him and Valeria. "That would be wonderful, thank you so much dear," Valeria said as she locked her arms back in with her husband. "Okay, follow me," Isabela said as she started to walk into the village.

"Oh, and Mirabel?" she said and turned around to her sister. "I would talk to Luisa before anything else. After you disappeared, she's been...struggling, to say the least. You'll find her by the old donkey farm." Isabela waved to Mirabel as she walked away towards her house. Mirabel remembered where her and Luisa has their last personal moment ten years ago and started to head that direction. "Why would Luisa be at the old barn?" Mirabel wondered to herself as she kept walking down the dirt path, following old donkey tracks that have been sunken into the path over the many long years.