☯︎ | PREFACE

————— ☯︎ —————

[ and it would be her doom ]

It was in her nature to care more than she should, and those that cared too much would inevitably learn to feel nothing at all.

She had lost her glow in the hail of bombs, each explosion tearing an emotion from her until nothing was left, just an empty space where her heart had once resided.

Blood streaked her face in the tears of a survivor. Ash tainted the air, suffocating her, making her throat thick with broken sobs.

Mouths gasped for air, hearts pounded, frail bodies ached to be held. Amongst it all, pleas for help were ignored, silenced in the cry of the bombs.

It was in the touch of a lover that her shaking came to a halt, in his eyes that she could focus on the life around her, rather than the death painted in the smoke of the debris. And his voice, smooth as marble and sharp as ice, cleared the ringing in her ears.

His presence had always been louder than her bombs.

Beneath the light, darkness lingered, calling for her. It sang songs of temptation, filling her empty soul with doubt, rage. Red blurred her vision, blinding, and made her blood boil. Ropes bound her to him, and she willingly followed, ignoring the warnings she had been given.

Why did righteousness matter, if he were there to hold her and share her demons? What separated the darkness from the light, when he was the one leading her towards the fine line, that sliver of grey? What was the difference between the beginning and the end, when he had given her both?

She had always cared more than she should.

— ☯︎ —

written: 07.04.21
published: 03.11.23