☯︎ | SIXTEEN

————— ☯︎ —————

[ xvi. people will pity ]

People had begun to stare again.

The Slytherins, so used to the attention that they barely noticed it, took the bullets of their gazes for her, shielding her on all sides as Jane dragged her along, chirping about the latest gossip to distract the Hufflepuff. It was a useless attempt, but Adelaide appreciated the gesture nonetheless, and did her best to pretend like it was working.

It was like her father had died all over again, leaving her emotionless and wrung of tears. Alone, because it was easier to have no one than to try to explain it to someone that couldn't understand.

The only difference, really, was that, despite the stares, she was also being ignored.

That wasn't to say her Housemates weren't polite when she had the energy to approach or greet them, but it was widely known that she was no longer friends with Noah, Wesley, and Lyra, and everyone had known enough to know it was likely her fault. Not that they were wrong. They just didn't care to take her into consideration, preferring to share their own stories than mind their business.

Drenched in black, Adelaide tugged up the hood of her sweater, eyes glued to the floor as she roamed through the halls. She didn't have any particular place to go to, but she couldn't get herself to sit still without feeling overwhelmed by the brunt of her thoughts.

She was starting to regret it now, having to walk around the students that had paused their original conversations to whisper loudly about her. They were merely physical epitomizes of what she'd been telling herself for the past week.

The girl swallowed a sigh, shuffling past until there was nothing left to hear. She didn't have the energy to snap like Abraxas would've done for her, or the talent to give a stare as terrifying as Walburga's.

Still, she'd rather deal with it alone than have them on her heels, thinking they were protecting her. Really, all they were doing was making her feel too small, yet too big. It was drawing more unwanted attention, and she didn't need them lecturing her on how she ought to stand up for herself.

Intimidation is key, Walburga had advised, but it wasn't something she cared to be anymore.

"Adelaide!" A monotone shout rang from the hall, a distance behind her, and the Hufflepuff lengthened her steps, ducking her head.

She hadn't registered the voice, just the desire to get away. Socializing was the last thing she wanted to do.

"Adelaide Estella Selwyn," firmer this time, a couple more eyes turning their way, "you come back this instant. Just like your father, aren't you? Always thinking you can get away from things if you ignore them."

That's not true, she wanted to argue. Alistaire had always been the type to face things head-on, rather than turning his back to it. That was how the darkness crept up on you. When you couldn't see it coming.

Instead, she came to a startled halt. Only one person had ever used her middle name, and that was because she had picked it. The sixth year rotated slowly on her heels. "Mother?"

Radiating power and enforcing fear, Estella Selwyn stood in all her glory, face carefully sculpted to appear unimpressed. She held her chin high as she approached, hands placed elaborately on her hips, brown eyes stern. Like her daughter, a single lock of her dark hair curled, but was tightly pulled into a ponytail at the nape of her neck.