"The Glowing"

I arose from my slumber and eagerly looked around my room for Zander, but I didn't see him or anyone else for that matter. I don't know what I was thinking. Hailey was probably right- it's just a figment of my imagination.

My stomach let out a low grumble, but I wasn't that hungry. I probably just needed to go on a walk, it'd clear my head. I considered grabbing a granola bar or something, but decided against it and just like that, I was out the door.

Right outside my house there was pavement, then it started to slowly fade into gravel, then dirt.

This was the path that Zander and I used to go on before, the incident. The dust softly kicked up behind me. It was peaceful out here..

We used to walk here. We used to go home from school on this path, that leaf blew into your hair here.

I trekked along as usual, nothing was out of the ordinary, when I told myself I needed to sit down at the nearest bench, for some reason. I don't know if it was fate or what? But then I noticed something.

I saw a faint purple glowing coming from a grove of trees across from the bench. what in the?-

Could it be you, Zander?

As much as I want to go over there and check it out, I had this feeling in my stomach to go back home- and that might just have been it telling me that I was hungry.

Besides..I'll know if it was you depending on whether it's still there tomorrow.

I retraced my steps back to my front door, and I entered the code into my lock and the electronic made a little chime as I entered my house.

I entered my kitchen, not bothering to take my shoes or jacket off, but just grabbed a couple slices of bread, some peanut butter, and jelly, and made a sandwich.

- - -

The next morning I arose and was straight out the door, I threw on my carmine cardigan when I was outside and raced to that bench. The glow. It was still there.

I slowly started to inch closer to that grove in the woods, I swear I've been back there a million times before, so what's so different now? I felt apprehensive about this. But it was just..so..beautiful...

Zander appeared right in front of me. "Luke! No! Don't go there! Don't..please.." The ghost boy called out, the desperation clearly showing through in his voice, he seemed like he was about to cry. "Luke! Listen to m-" he was cut off.

I know I need to listen to him. I have to, but that glowing sensation..I was in a trance, being lured in by that royal glowing.

I needed to get to that glow, no matter what. I..need to..

The autumn leaves crunches beneath my feet as I approached the grove, what..is this? I asked myself, but I didn't expect even a fragment of an answer. It looked like a portal..the same amaranthine shade as Zander's hair.

All of a sudden Zander came in front of me and pushed me, causing me to stumble and snap out of that trance, I shook my head. what..what was that? why didn't Zander want me to go there? there were so many questions running through my mind.

Then I heard a noise. It seemed to be calling me. I slowly headed towards the swirling magical thing ahead when a voice screamed in my face.

"NO LUKE! SNAP OUT IF IT!" A frustrated voice called out to me.

"Well what does this portal do?!" I snapped back, a tinge of frustration building up in my voice.

"It's not good for you!" Zander screamed, "it-" he stopped.