Chapter 25

Note: this chapter has abuse, alcohol intake, slapping, verbal fights, etc. please don't read if you're uncomfortable

**

The situation was... vexatious to say the least.

It had been a week. There was an unpleasant aura in the house. The sound of Veronica wretching her stomach by vomiting into the toilet bowl was heard every morning. Jeongguk would always make breakfast that Veronica would never eat- instead, she'd make something on her own. Taehyung would linger behind, smile at Veronica, smile at Jeongguk, and then have a glass of whiskey far too early in the day.

One particular Friday morning, Jeongguk stopped by the doorway to Taehyung's study, seeing him with his head against the desk, hand around an empty glass.

"Taehyung," Jeongguk said softly, and Taehyung flinched at his voice and picked his head up. He blinked a few times, adjusting his eyes to the light, and then landed them on Jeongguk. Taehyung smiled.

"Hello, love. Shouldn't you have left for your classes yet?" Taehyung asked, groggy.

Jeongguk's eyebrows were slightly furrowed, hands wringing together in a nervous gesture. "The lecturer's fallen ill, so I don't have to attend," Jeongguk said, and then put his hand on Taehyung's shoulder, an unconscious movement. "Are you alright?"

"I'm- I'm fine. Perfectly mellow, darling." Taehyung said, and then got up from his seat and stumbled forward at the suddenness. Jeongguk grabbed him by his sides, eyes widening.

"Taehyung-" Jeongguk began, and Taehyung put his hands on Jeongguk's chest, chuckling.

"I'm fine-" Taehyung repeated, and tried pushing Jeongguk off.

"You're drunk, Taehyung- i-it's 10 in the morning-"

"I said I'm fine," Taehyung growled lowly, and Jeongguk feet faltered backward. Jeongguk looked at him with worry, and Taehyung walked past him, out of the study. Jeongguk turned and followed him.

"You really shouldn't be drinking so much, Taehyung," Jeongguk began feebly, watching Taehyung grab a bottle roughly and pour its contents into the whiskey glass. "Not- not now. Not when Veronica's pregnant-"

"She is, isn't she? She's very much pregnant. I saw it last night. A little bump on her stomach. Our child, that's-" Taehyung chuckled, gripping his glass tighter, a wicked smile on his face as he took a sip, and then let go. "That's our child."

"Taehyung-" Jeongguk walked over to him. Jeongguk grabbed the glass out of his hand, putting it back down on the table. "If you keep doing this, it'll get worse. For you, for Veronica, for your child-"

"I know what I'm fucking doing, Jeongguk," Taehyung rasped, and then gripped his chin, the darkness in his eyes lingering away at the sight of Jeongguk. Taehyung tilted his head. "You're quite beautiful."

Jeongguk pushed him off. "Eat some food and go to work. You'll get fired if you keep showing up to work off your feet like this."

"Don't lecture me." Taehyung snickered, walking past him. Veronica walked down the steps, dressed in her work clothes. She looked at Taehyung as he walked up the stairs and into their bedroom, shutting the door harshly. Veronica looked at Jeongguk.

Jeongguk kept quiet, looking away. Taehyung returned a minute later, dressed in his work clothes. He walked past Veronica and Jeongguk, out of the house. Veronica let out a slight sigh and followed, as they'd take the car to work together. Jeongguk stayed at his home, tethered.