Chapter 7

Xander

We've been in this meeting for more than an hour, and aren't getting any closer to finding a solution though. We have a few more hours until the sun comes up and I'll talk to Reia again.

"I stick to my original thought, let's kill her before she kills us. You said it yourself," Sorin says, pointing at me. "the feeling of death looms over her. Naiara has seen pain for the future in her presence and you've mentioned her trying to attack you already. How are we still talking about this?"

"We won't just kill her. She could be useful," Atticus says firmly.

"We don't know enough about her. She could be fond of the government and you've already told her too much," Sorin insists.

"She's not." I could feel how tempted she was by my offer. Everyone's eyes snap to mine. "She's unmarked." I shrug.

"How?" Layla says suspiciously.

"Haven't asked yet. I have a feeling we have to tread lightly if we want her to tell us anything. I'll do the talking for now." Sorin rolls his eyes.

"We should wait to make a decision until we know more. I say she can stay for now but we keep our guard up," Calista says.

"Agreed," I chime in. Atticus nods and looks at his sister expectantly. She groans.

"If this turns out to have been a mistake, I'll have your head." She points at her brother threateningly. He smiles and dismisses the meeting. The majority decides.

I pull him to the side as the others file out.

"If she feels our distrust, she'll return it."

"Then we'll have to make sure she doesn't feel it," my friend says. I don't like it but I nod. I'll play theatrics if it keeps my family safe.

--------

Author's note: hey guys. This is a bit of a filler chapter but I still hope you enjoyed it. Don't be shy to let me know how you like my story this far. <3