Chapter One: The Hospital

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

My eyes opened and I looked through my lashes up at a white ceiling.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I could hear my audible breathing as my mouth went hot to cold. 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Where was I?

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I rose slowly from the bed, my head feeling heavy as I resisted the urge to fall back. I blinked before taking it all in. I sat on a bed in the middle of a hospital room, but it seemed almost as though this room had been abandoned.

The lights flickered, and the only noise I could hear was the beeping of machines. I removed the oxygen mask from my face and pulled the PICC lines off my arms, slowly gliding my numb legs off the bed.

My weak legs stood up awkwardly and I walked forward, inspecting my eerie surroundings. I held onto equipment to keep myself upright as I looked over at the other empty beds. The sheets were all wrinkled up and tools were thrown on the floor as though people had left here in a hurry.

I stumbled forward and gripped onto a trolley as I bent over, my legs wanting to collapse to the floor. 

Creeeeaakk. 

Sweat dripped down the side of my face as I took a shaky breath. Someone was here.

I straightened up cautiously from my position behind the trolley, my heart pounding in my ears. 

Obscured in the shadows of the room, I could trace out the figure of a well-built man. He stepped forward slightly, his face being unmasked by the flickering lights. Bark-colored wisps of hair fell in front of his distrustful brown gaze. My brows furrowed in confusion as I tilted my head slightly.

On his back in a sling lay a doe-eyed baby.

"I-" I started to speak but felt my voice vanish as the man pulled out a gun and pointed it directly at me. He clicked the safety off and I felt as my feverish body went rigid.

BANG! 

AHH FIRST CHAPTER UP YAYAY!!!!! Did I lay in the bathtub, looking up at the ceiling, and covering my mouth with my hand to envision this part? Yes, yes I did.