Chapter 4

"You want me to teach? I'm not even a good student..."

Camelot, Late 12th Century

Hisirdoux Casperan stretched his arms above his head as he dropped his heavy pile of blacksmith tools on the study floor. He eyed one of the magical suits of armor standing in frozen attention by the wall. Fat lot of help they are.

His feline friend was equally useless in chores. Most of the time, Archie was perfectly content to watch him from the nearby table. Currently, the cat was indisposed outside, chasing a stray gnome.

It had been two days since Merlin had rescued Hisirdoux from an abrupt execution, and he was finally beginning to adjust to castle life. He had never imagined that he'd someday set foot within the walls of Camelot's mighty fortress.

After two days as Merlin's apprentice, that assessment was still largely correct. Rarely had Hisirdoux had the chance to leave the wizard's study, let alone enter Arthur's glorious tower.

Still, it's nice to have plenty of meat and mead.

And work.

Merlin had promised to teach him spells. His descriptions of a sorcerer's apprenticeship had been vague, but promising enough to lure the boy into eager agreement. In yet another disappointing twist, the bearded mage's instructions had only consisted of common chores. Hisirdoux's excitement had begun to wear thin.

What was the old man looking for, anyway? An apprentice or an indentured servant?

It was at that moment that he overheard agitated voices echoing through the hallway. 

It was then that the young wizard overheard agitated voices echoing through the hallway.

Hisirdoux jumped up from his seat atop the table and dashed for the study door. Crouching low, he positioned his ear next to the slight crack in the doorway.

"Rubbish! My apprentice is my own concern."

Hisirdoux winced. Buckets. I know that voice.

The other voice, that of a young maiden, responded to Merlin in her own harsh tone. "What will Arthur say when he learns where you found the boy? That you spared him from execution?"

"Tis none of your concern, Morgana. I shall deal with the boy as I see fit."

"My concern is for the child, not you." The woman, Morgana, spoke more sympathetically now. "Are you certain he is prepared for this burden?"

"You were hardly different during your early days," Merlin said. The voices grew clearer as they approached the study.

"I was older," she shot back. "He is not ready for the trials of sorcery, especially in dire times such as this."

Hisirdoux swallowed hard. I knew Camelot wasn't friendly towards wizards, but I didn't know it was this bad. I thought Merlin's apprentices were safe.

The quarreling sorcerers stopped in the hallway, not far from the study door. Morgana's next question was quiet. "Are you sure you can trust him?"

"No."

Fuzzbuckets. This just keeps getting better.

"All power is responsibility in disguise," Merlin's voice continued. "I know that better than anyone, and you would be wise not to forget it. I am testing the boy by fire. If he cannot bear the wizard's burden, then I shall release him from my tutelage."

"This is a difficult time for spellcasters," Morgana continued. "You know that. You're leading the boy into danger. The more you teach him, the more Arthur will consider him a threat."