Chapter 5

"You know you can talk to me, right?"

Archie waited until the following day to come to him. The evening wind blew cold, and business at the café was slow. Douxie had been permitted to close up early and return to his magical parlor for an early dinner.

"How did you feel?"

Douxie looked up from his meal, ramen noodles dangling from his lip.

"Hm? What?"

"When you told her to go home," Archie clarified. His expression was gentle, yet firm.

Well, I've been trying not to think about it all day. Thanks so much for asking, Arch.

"I didn't like upsetting her, if that's what you mean. I did what had to be done."

"I'm not asking how she felt," the cat replied calmly. "I'm asking how you felt."

Douxie cast his gaze downwards, thoughtfully stirring his ramen. "I was...disappointed. I wish I could have told her something nicer, I guess."

Archie gave a long, exhausted sigh. "So do I, Doux."

The wizard paused. "How do you mean?"

Archie subtly rubbed his front paws together nervously. "Well, perhaps a...part-time apprentice would be a welcome change of pace for us."

"You're serious about this, aren't you?" The wizard placed his meal on the table in disbelief. "Don't you remember what we saw on that rooftop? We're being hunted, Arch! This is the absolute worst time to take on a pupil."

"Angor knows of her as well. Perhaps we can't afford not to get involved."

"Or Angor could be setting a trap for us," Douxie shot back. "Why else would he care about her?"

"Because he sensed her power." Archie's ears bristled backwards as he looked his comrade in the eye. "You did too. I know you did. Claire has the potential to be a great witch, and you know it."

Douxie clenched the fist that his chin rested upon. "Why would she want to be a witch? Doesn't she know how hard that life is?"

"No," Archie admitted. "But I wager she can learn."

Douxie stood up in defiance. "Why do you care so much about this anyway?"

Archie gave a deep sigh, collapsing back down onto his paws. "Doux, how much longer are we going to pretend you're alright?"

The boy's brow furrowed. "What are you on about?"

The feline paced back and forth along the table. "You work all day, and then you come home and stare at the wall. You text, but you don't meet up with friends. You don't study, you don't enchant. You don't even practice your chords anymore."

"Yeah! I'm grateful for a break!"

"No, you're depressed. It's been just us for too long, old pal."

"I'm not..." Douxie's voice trailed off. Am I depressed? Do I even have time for that?

Archie gently placed a paw on the wizard's hand. "You're working two and a half jobs, and all of them are thankless."

Douxie huffed. "Music is a job, Arch."

"It wasn't a career in the dark ages and it isn't a career now."

The wizard opened his mouth to protest, but all that came out was a quiet chuckle of amusement.

The cat adjusted his spectacles. "What makes her any different from you, back when you started out?"

"When Merlin found us, we were alone. We had nothing to lose." Douxie returned to his seat, glumly looking his feline friend in the eye. "She's got a family. A home."