WIP(e)

"Piercinald Anastasia Hawthorne, lovingly known as Pierce, was an amazing man. He lived the first half of his life hated by his father and family but finished his life being loved by an amazing woman. He died doing what he loved, yelling at the staff of his new business."

I sniffled, trying to stay calm. I couldn't believe it. He was dead. The love of my life was dead.

"He lived to be 84 years old. He made it through many wars and pandemics, and his father's company almost ended the 2020 toilet paper shortage. He was a great man, and I know he is looking down on us all and smiling."

I looked over at our son, only fifteen years old. He was an amazing father, and it killed me inside that he wouldn't be here to watch Lloyd grow up. Pierce loved him more than anything, even me.

He chose the name, not me. 

"In times of mourning, it's easy to remember the great things a person has done. The kind deeds they've done and thoughtful words they've said, but once the mourning is over, don't forget to remember those things as well. It's just as easy to remember the bad as it is the good, so choose the good. Is there anyone who would like to share a memory?"

We all looked around at each other. All of the members of the study group were here with their families and a few other important people in his life. After a moment, Lloyd got up and walked to the pulpit.

"My dad was the best man on the planet. He always loved me and made sure that I knew he would always support me. I would give anything to have him back, but I know mom will be able to tell me stories about him for the rest of our lives. I miss you, dad. I'll see you again. You were always streets ahead," Lloyd cried, wiping his tears as he sat down. I hugged him, holding him close.

We were all going to miss Pierce.

Before the minister could get back up to the pulpit, a man with a briefcase came up to the pulpit.

"Hello. I am Pierce's lawyer. I'd like to start with my condolences to the family. Now, Pierce has designated he wishes his will to be read in his presence. In this briefcase, I have the main items to be given to his non-family members. But first, a special video from Pierce will be played."

My heart dropped as a projector screen lowered, and after a minute, Pierce was on screen. He was in his hospice bed in our living room. When did he take this?

"Hello. If you're watching this, it means I've passed away. I'd like to apologize. I know I've left a lot of you with unfinished business, and for that, I'm sorry. But to my wife and my son, I want to tell you that it pains me to know I've left you behind. As my lawyer will tell you, I've left all of my money, home, cars, and personal items to you, Amy. For Lloyd, I've left the family business. Make me proud, kiddo! And as for the study group, Mr. Stone, pull out the canisters...: