Cornered in the cafetaria

"Who's that?" The new kid, Miguel Diaz, asked the boys he sat with.
"Who? Oh, her. Do not interact with her, we may be the cheap desert, but she's first on the menu. If we talk to her in public spaces, our social lives are over before it even starts." One of them, Demetri Alexopoulos, answered.
The boys looked over at a girl in the corner of the cafetaria on the ground. It was her usual spot, besides outside in a shack she had found that no one knew about yet, because all the tables and chairs were already in use whenever she came in. If she was able to get a chair, it would be ripped out of her hands or yanked from under her.
She listened to music while reading and eating an apple. She wore a fringe jacket over a black shirt and a black denim skirt. Her hair was pink from halfway her hair to the end, blond on the other half. Her roots were grown out clearly so you could see her originally dark brown hair. The eyeliner around her eyes made her look more attractive. The piercing on the right side of her nose reflected some of the light which made it clear to see.

The girl turned off her music and pulled out her earbuds. She put her stuff in her bag and threw it over her shoulder. She got up and calmly walked towards the door, but she wasn't quick enough.
"What is she doing?" Miguel asked.
"Wait for it." Demetri told him. The boys looked at her pitiful, while Miguel was looking confused.
"Hey Hairdye! Not tryna get away, are you." A group of boys walked up to her.
"What do you want? You weren't in the mood for the holiday homework, am I right? Wouldn't want you to start the schoolyear bad, now do we." She turned to them. She knew only two boys by name, Kyler and Brucks. Kyler was the one who took lead and talked to her.
"Trying to earn some cash? Heard you were the one paying the bills on the table. Where's mommy and daddy to do that, huh?" Kyler said.
"Nice one Ky!" Brucks said. Kyler gave him the five and they turned back to her.
"Still using the same one from years ago? Low man, low." She said.
"English, essay about some fucking theatre thing of own choice. Due tomorrow 2 pm. It better be ready." Kyler ignored her, stepping closer towards her. She did not move a muscle.
"You better pay well." She responded.
She took a step towards him, she was barely taller then him. It turned into a staring contest. She didn't notice until now that the whole cafetaria had gone quiet. The bell rung, making Kyler and the girl break eye contact. She looked around and saw everyone staring at them. Her face showed a sign of pink in it. She picked up her bag from the floor, lowered her head and walked out quickly, hearing Kyler and his gang laugh at her.

"I feel bad for her." Miguel said.
Kyler and his friends were talking about how pathetic the girl acted. Demetri nodded in agreement and the third boy, Eli Moskowitz, lowered his head.
"What was that he said about her parents?" Miguel continued. Demetri and Eli looked at each other.
"What? Why are you looking at each other like that? What's going on?" Eli looked at Miguel.
"She's my neighbour." Eli said.
"His parents insist on having her and her family coming over for dinner every once in a while." Demetri added.
"But, there's something with her parents, right?" Miguel asked them.
"I'm not gonna tell you that, it's her situation." Eli snapped.
"Come on, we gotta get to class." Demetri said.
"Can you at least tell me her name?" Miguel almost begged.
"Marlene, Marlene Davies. Now let's go, we got maths to survive."
The boys left the cafetaria and went to class.