ONE , trial and error

YOU SAT DOWN next to miguel at his apartment. eric was gonna be in new york checking things out so he had told miguel's mom if you could stay with them.

miguel stayed quiet as he fidgeted with his ring. you had stayed silent, just occasionally turning to look at him. he looked more tried and drained out, he also looked like he had a lot on his mind.

you didn't want to pry, but he was also your best-friend. "are you okay?" you asked him.

miguel turned to look at you, "yeah. yeah i'm fine." he said spinning the ring around his index finger.

"miguel." you said tilting your head slightly to the side.

miguel bit his tongue, it was hard enough to hurt, but it wasn't hard enough to draw blood. it almost had seemed as though he wanted too, with each second he bit down harder and harder on his tongue.

"miguel." you had asked him again causing him to look back at you.

"what?" he asked you. his mannerisms changed, he placed his hands on his legs and just eyed you.

"what's wrong?" you asked him.

miguel's leg began to bounce up and down as his eyes looked at almost every single thing in the room with you both.

suddenly his eyes had stopped at you, "nothing, it's just like... like i don't feel like i wanna do this, you know?" he told you.

"don't wanna do what?" you asked him.

"don't wanna do karate anymore, or i don't know. it just doesn't feel right, i'm not doing it for myself." he mumbled as he scratched the back of his head.

your phone buzzed, you didn't bother to pick it up but you glanced at it. it was a message from eli, but you decided he could wait a little bit.

"no go." miguel quickly said making your mouth slightly open.

"are you sure? i don't think he'll mind." you tried to bargain with him.

miguel's lips formed into a straight line, "just go y/n. he already doesn't like that you're staying with me. we can just talk when you come back." he said, the corner of his lip turning upwards.

you looked at him before sighing. you lifted yourself up from miguel's couch and picked up your phone. you gave miguel a quick hug and just felt bad for leaving him.

you opened your door to see eli walking up the stairs. you quickly closed the door behind you and walked up to him, the corners of your lips turning upwards.

eli was quick to grab your wrist and pull you into a hug. right away you could smell the cologne, it was a vanilla cologne type sent, it didn't seem like it should work but it didn't.

he pulled away and gave you a glance, "what's wrong?" he asked you.

you didn't reply.

-

the two of you sat in a parking lot. it was dark and the stairs was out, a soft breeze would chime in every once in a while. eli seemed bothered and so did you, but neither of you questioned each other; you just
enjoyed each other's company.

"do you think we're going to win?" you asked eli.

he turned to look at you and he placed his hand on your thigh, "babe if anyone is gonna win, it's gonna be us." he smiled.

the both of you began leaning towards each other, "easy pigeon, you're getting ahead of yourself." you whispered to him as your lips were inches away from each other.

eli chucked, "i've been told i do that." he replied as his lips touched yours. his hand cupped your face as the two of you continued to kiss.

eli broke the kissed and watched as your eyes opened, his thumb traced the corner of your lips. "now who's getting ahead of themselves?" he whispered.

you smiled as you pushed his face back. the both of your laughter's echoing the empty parking lot. it was like a scene from a movie, the way the stars shined, and the wind that seemed to blow at the right moments.

eli stood up and held out his hands, "cmon, miss diaz is gonna kill me for bringing you home so late." he said helping you up.

the two of you began to walk as eli wrapped his arm around you. it was insane, the way you could feel so safe with one person, it's like you wouldn't even phantom a life without them until you don't have them.

-

when you got back to miguel's apartment you tried your best to be quiet. miss's diaz was probably asleep dude to the dark lights. you made your way over to miguel's room where your air mattress was.

when you opened your door miguel was awake just staring at his phone.

"you good?" you asked him as you sat down on the air mattress that immediately sunk.

you looked up at miguel who peeked at you over the corner of his bed.

the two of you began laughing as miguel helped you up only causing him to fall on the air mattress with you.

laughter broke out as you attempted to cover your mouth to not wake up miguel or his grandmother.

"oh she's so gonna beat my ass if she hears us." miguel said making the two of you continue laughing.

a lot of thoughts went through your mind. a lot of people wouldn't like this, like the fact that you're staying at another boy's house while you have a boyfriend. would you feel the same way? it was hard, cause you knew nothing would happen between you and miguel despite the things he had tried to pull in the past.

the two of you were above that, he was with sam and you were with eli. but even though you can enjoy romantic company, maybe friendship company is something we all need.

miguel's phone began buzzing, he quickly looked at it. from the contact name you could tell it was sam.

miguel's whole mood had changed, "jesus." he whispered.

"what happened?" you asked him.