4

(Y/n) was doing something he knew Light would not like him doing. He could practically hear the other scolding him about his choices. While he would never tell Light, (Y/n) found it adorable that he kept a level head about everything except (Y/n). Anyone who looked at Light Yagami would just see a hard working student who was destined for greatness.

But when (Y/n) did something he deemed 'dangerous', Light immediately reverted to a worried-- if not nosy-- and slightly overprotective mindset. He needed to know where (Y/n) was, who he was with, why he left, and why he thought to do it in the middle of the night. 

Speaking of Light, (Y/n) was not oblivious to the crush the brunette had on him. (Y/n) might never be top of the class, but he could read just about anyone as if their whole life and all of their secrets were written on their forehead.

He knew of Light's crush, but he would play ignorant to it. (Y/n) had no intention to be in a romantic relationship with anyone. He was just in it for the thrill of the chase. Just how long would it take for Light to give up on him? What would happen when he does? The questions flooded (Y/n)'s mind and it excited him to no end at the thought of one day finding out the answers. 

Even if Light's friendship vanishes along with his crush, it would mean nothing to (Y/n). Sure, the two had known each other most of their lives, but it never really mattered. Much like his innocent act, his friendship with Light was just that: an act. 

Light was the perfect cover. People flocked to him and were much too busy trying to gain his attention to notice his friend. Because as long as he stayed at Light's side, (Y/n) would remain unnoticed; hiding in plain sight. 

But back to what (Y/n) was doing at the moment. 

He was wandering around random streets. He simply went where his legs took him. Just a relaxing stroll downtown. 

At two in the morning. 

In his defense, he was going home, until he got distracted. By the entire downtown area. He then continued to get distracted for several hours after that. Most shops were closed, save for a few convenience stores and bars. 

(Y/n) wandered into one of the convenience stores. He gave a fleeting glace towards the underpaid cashier before making his way to the snack isles. He grabbed a bag of chips off of the shelf and took an energy drink from the glass coolers that sat along the back wall. 

He wandered up to the cashier, already digging through his pocket to find his wallet. He could feel the man behind the counter staring at him, but he kept an oblivious look on his face. (Y/n) paid for the items as the cashier bagged them. He noticed out of the corner of his eye, the male writing something on the back of his receipt before putting it in the bag as well.

(Y/n) took the bag and said a quiet, "Have a good night", simply as a courtesy. "Yeah, you too" the other answered, a smile evident in his voice. The moment (Y/n) left the store, his smile fell into a scowl. He knew he was pretty, but he enjoyed being eye-fucked about as much as he enjoyed getting his fingernails ripped out. 

He dismissed the thought, but it was quickly replaced by thoughts of the receipt. (Y/n) did not need to look at the paper to know what was on it. Despite his automatic dislike of the man, (Y/n) decided to keep it. There was no telling when he would come in handy. 

He absentmindedly reached for his drink. It opened with the usual hiss as his eyes wandered to the bar. For a split second he wondered if he could smooth talk someone into buying him a drink. Not because he needed nor wanted one, but just to see if they would actually do it. 

A frown etched itself on his face. People are truly revolting. (Y/n) was quick to leave after that thought, taking a swig of his drink as he walked. 

~~~~~

"Want some?" (Y/n) asked, holding his half empty energy drink out to the woman. She stared up at him with wide eyes, as if he had asked her something impossible.

He had removed the gag from her mouth just to see what she would do. When it first came off, she screamed and tried to move her face out of his grasp. After calming down, however, she refused to say anything to him. She simply stared at him with wide eyes as he wandered around the small basement. 

"Wow, tough crowd" He muttered, rolling his eyes and taking the drink back. Still nothing. He gave a long, drawn out sigh before saying, "Okay, well if you're not gonna say anything then I guess I'm gonna have to just continue cutting your le--" "W-what do you want fro-from me?!" She yelped, squeezing her eyes shut. 

(Y/n) stared at her silently until she opened her eyes again. "It's rude to not look at someone while you're talking to them. Didn't your parents ever teach you about manners?" he said, laughing at her deer-in-headlights reaction. 

"Although..." He crouched down in front of her, putting his finger on his chin as if he was thinking about something, "About your question...." She practically melted into the floor under his gaze, "I have no idea!" He finished with a childish grin.

After a few seconds he succumbed to a yawn. He pulled the glove off of his dominant hand and used it to fish his phone out of his pocket. The time displayed on the screen read 4:15 AM. He had school in a few hours. 

"Eh, sleep is overrated anyway" He muttered to himself. All at once he became completely disinterested in the woman in front of him. But seeing as it would be a wasted trip if he left without causing a bit of bloodshed, he grabbed the knife that rested on the ground beside him. He held a bored expression as he sloppily carved the next letter into her leg. She cried and struggled against him, but it did nothing to stop him. 

Seeing as there was only one letter left, he quickly cut the last letter into her leg  and admired his work. "I don't know why you're so upset" He said, tilting his head to the side, "You look so much prettier covered in blood like that". 

"Y-you're fucking psycho!" She hissed, her voice shook when she spoke. (Y/n) lurched forward and gave a loud, "Boo!". She flinched back and yelped at the movement. Now satisfied with his work, (Y/n) gagged her again, got up, and left the basement. 

~~~~~

Light's foot bounced under his desk. Homeroom had already ended and they were well into first period. And yet, there was no (Y/n) to be found. Ryuk-- Light was still trying to get used to him being around-- was far more interested in the rest of the classroom to be bothered with Light's growing worry and oddly enough, annoyance. 

It was rare for (Y/n) to be late. He had always been worried that he would miss some major thing that was sure to happen in the first five minutes of class. But the closer that they got to the end of the period, the more concerned Light became. 

And for whatever reason, that concern had been joined by annoyance. Just what was so important that (Y/n) couldn't be bothered to contact him? Why could he not understand that Light needed to know where he is? He finally had the means to truly protect him, but he could not do that if (Y/n) was nowhere to be found! Why could he not--

Light's train of thought was broken by (Y/n) nervously trying to sneak into the classroom. The late pass in his hands was crumpled and strangled as he wove through the desks and took his seat. 

Despite the two not sitting anywhere near each other, Light could still see the exhaustion in his eyes. He overslept. The stone-like tenseness that had been encasing his back chipped off and broke away all at once. 

(Y/n) was okay. He was just tired. There was nothing for Light to worry about. 

So... Why was he still worried?

Light had long since accepted that (Y/n) would occupy his every thought; his every conscious moment. Even still, he did not understand why. He figured that after he fixed the world he could figure out his own emotions but until then, he was stuck in a hodgepodge of confusing feelings. 

All he was concerned with was what would make him oversleep like that? It was very unlike him to do that on a school day (weekends were a completely different story).

A playful hum sounded over Light's shoulder. "You've been staring at that boy for a while now" Ryuk said in an obviously joking manor, "He must be important". Now, Light usually hated talking to the Shinigami in public, but he made an acceptation this one time. 

"Of course he is" Light muttered. Even he himself could hardly hear his words, "He's my friend".