12

"Why are you so weird?" 

(Y/n) felt rather taken aback by that question. He stared blankly at the girl. She was around twelve and the two sat beside one another in class. "What do you mean?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows. He was just trying to be her friend. Light made it look so easy to be friends with people and there he was, somehow messing it up. 

"You're always alone and you stare at people like they're some weird creature you're not sure of" She explained. "Well, maybe you are a weird creature and I'm not always alone" He reasoned. His face burned red with embarrassment as she looked him over with an uncomfortable look. "Really? Then why are you alone right now? Don't you have any friends?" She asked. 

"I-I do have a friend!" (Y/n) stood his ground with a frown, "He just doesn't go here, that's all". The girl said nothing else and simply shot him a pitying glance before returning to her group of friends. The rest of the year, people avoided (Y/n) and that same girl would give him strange looks when they were near each other.

That was the last time (Y/n) tried to be someone's friend.

~~~~~

(Y/n) hated being touched. He put on a nice face, apologized when someone bumped into him, and even stamped down the urge to break that arm they just brushed him with. Because polite people did not resort to violence from a single touch and (Y/n) was playing nice.

He walked alongside Light, who somehow turned a blind eye to the people fawning over him. (Y/n) just couldn't. Their gazes felt like slugs trailing across his back and neck and if one more person bumped into him he swore he would—

"Are you free this weekend?" Light's voice cut through (Y/n)'s annoyance and the distracted expression he wore changed into an attentive one as he turned to Light with a hum. "I think so. Mom wants to throw this family dinner thing with my cousins Sunday night but I'm good any other time" he answered.

A small smile crossed Light's features. "In that case, would you be up for a trip to Spaceland Saturday?" He asked. (Y/n) tilted his head. "Spaceland? Haven't been there in forever" (Y/n) mused, "I'm down".

"Good. Then why don't we meet at the bus stop? Does eleven work?" Light asked. "I would love to!" He chirped.

I hate the bus.

~~~~~

Admittedly (Y/n) might have lost track of time. Saturday morning rolled around and all at once, (Y/n) absolutely hated how his room was laid out and decorated. He then spent that morning making trips to and from the main house, dodging run-ins with his parents, and hauling trash bags full of things he no longer liked (and perhaps the final fragments of destroyed evidence) and tossing it into the trash can.

By the time he got done rearranging his bed and dresser, it was 10:30 and he had some rushing to do. He thew on an outfit he deemed presentable and added a light blue sweater on top just in case Light really thought this was a date. He personally did not care much what the other thought would be the outcome of their trip, but he figured he would look nice anyway.

The last time the two went to Spaceland was for his fourteenth birthday. While (Y/n) himself was not too keen on friends, his mother had invited some of her coworkers who had kids his age, along with Light, of course.

It was around then that he realized Light's feelings for him were more so romantic than anything and (Y/n) ended up kissing a girl from their group just to see his reaction. Her perfume was far too sweet to be enjoyable however the look on Light's face as he tried to hide his jealousy made it worth it.