Chapter 8 : Discord at Dinner.

Shit.

Her father.

In the few seconds that it took for señor Agustin to burst through the doorway and announce himself, Camilo had joined both Mirabel and I at the dresser.

As Mirabel turned to conceal the glowing green prophecy behind her Casita tried to aid her by shifting the dresser  to the side a bit.

I felt useless standing there and doing nothing but by the look on señor Agustin's face, we seemed to be a shocking crisis on our own. 

Not only my presence but the fact that my hand started to feel warm. Agustin glances, between Camilo and I and his expression worsens.

Camilo had grabbed my hand when I least expected it.

But he didn't let go.

...

... ...

... ... ...

...Why didn't he let go?

"I broke into Bruno's tower, I found his last vision, the family's in trouble, the magic is dying, the house is breaking, Luisa's gift is fading and I think it's all because of... me?" Mirabel confesses, not taking in a breath until she finishes she blurting out all the information to her father in a few matter of seconds.

He walks towards the source of the green pigmented glowing and gently pushes Mirabel out the way, looking down at the prophecy foretold.

The doorbell then rings.

"We say nothing. Abuela wants tonight to be perfect." He begins as he grabs the pieces of the broken future and shoves them into his pockets.

"'Till the Guzmáns leave, you did not break into Bruno's tower, the magic is not dying, the house is not breaking, Luisa's gift is not fading, and you two aren't together."

"No one will know, just act normal." 

The door creaks open.

"No one has to know." He gently persuades Mirabel as he holds onto her shoulders, trying to persuade himself at the same time.

"O!" We hear, high pitched and sounding a lot like...

Dolores is on the other end of Casita, eyes wide, eyebrows furrowed high together and ears pealed. Her gaze locked onto the father and daughter pair, Camilo and I out of her sight.

"I know." She exclaims gently as she swiftly and quietly rushes off, "Hm!" 

And out of sight.

As we all look out the door Mirabel draws our attention to that fact that,

"She's gonna tell everyone."

"Time to eat!" Abuela Alma joyously announces.

Señor Agustin mutters something and takes a quick leave.

Mirabel turns toward us, our hands still locked together.

 "Ay Camilo, I know you're in love with them and all but now's not the time!" She whisper shouts as she massages her temples, taking a moment to think.

"You need to get out of here." Camilo admits, looking towards me with disappointment and offering a faint smile.

"Ay, Camilo, I know! But we can't just shove them out the window or down the stairs, they'll get caught!" She yells in a soft voice, her frustration becoming clear.

He nods slowly as he lets go of my hand and trails off, out the room.

"Make sure they get out safely." He asks with conflicting tones in his voice, looking down at the ground.

He then walks off and down the stairs towards the dinning room as we hear him loudly excuse Mirabel's lateness with a tone of hallow happiness.

"While Abuela is distracted, you're gong to make a run for it. Sneak out down the stairs and to the front door. Casita will try to help you whenever they can, si?" She brainstorms as she looks up at me, hoping I've understood and will do so.

I nod stoically, "Si."

A little nervous, while she runs off to join the rest of the Madrigals.

after a few minutes I wander down and lightly trek down the stairs and bend down as I pass the illuminated room. 

"Salud!" Abuela proclaims cheerfully as she raises her glass,

followed by the rest of the family and the pair of guests, "Salud!"

A boy notices me and looks down at me. He's seated at the end of the table next to Dolores, holding a small cup of green juice. A toucan atop of his head.

Antonio.

I shush him and place a finger over my lips as he draws Dolores' attention toward me.

She glances at me, her eyes widening even more before she glances back to Mirabel, continuing to stare at her while fiddling with her glass.

Small, high squeaks can be heard originating for Dolores, nervously staring.

I stay still, looking up at Antonio, continuing my efforts to keep him quiet.

My levels of panic skyrocket as I see that Dolores cracks.

Thankfully she only has Camilo to turn to as she spills everything to him, unknowing of Camilo's presence in Mirabel's room. Not even suspecting he was there.

Camilo leans back in his seat to find me, crouched down and desperately pleading with his little brother. He slightly blushes as he looks at me before pulling away and shaking his head furiously while sitting normally again and keeping quiet.

Antonio reaches for Luisa's skirt, still staring at me.