Cutting it Close on the Second Night

Cinders and Ashes

A/N: My first update of 2022! But just a heads up for any future updates. I'm currently on a job hunt, so I'm not sure about how my always irregular update schedule will be. We'll just have to wait and see how things turn out once I actually find a job for the winter. Wish me luck on finding one.

Anyway, that aside, I hope everyone is eager to start 2022 right. I know I do. So let's get on with Chapter 6! Roll it!

Chapter 6

Cutting it Close on the Second Night

The next day, Ash did all of his chores as if everything was normal again and he had finally given up on attending the ball. Giovanni seemed to be pleased that his threat got through to his charge as he and his daughters gave Ash some more chores to do left and right until the sun went down. This time though, it didn't seem as exhausting to Ash, as he finished them all with ease. It was probably because he was so excited to see Dawn again once his stepfamily left.

Since the second night of the ball was going to be a costume party, this time the Grand Duke wore a cream suit that was reminiscent of a Persian. Serena wore a dress that reminded one of a Red Flower Florges, and Miette wore a Slurpuff inspired dress. They gathered in the main foyer, where Ash was sweeping the floor.

"We'll be back late tonight

"We'll be back late tonight." Giovanni said to the younger man. "Have some refreshments ready for us when we return."

"Yes, Your Grace." Ash replied, bowing his head before continuing to sweep the floor in the foyer.

Once he was finished, he looked up and saw that his stepfamily had already left in their carriage. A smile came on his face as he bided his time by sweeping the hallway before he put the broom away and joined Pikachu in heading out to the garden.

There, he saw his other Pokémon friends already there, waiting for him and Pikachu. "Are you guys ready for Night Two?" He asked them, to which they all cheered in confirmation, making him chuckle. He then started looking around his parents.

"Mom? Dad? Are you guys here?" He called out to them.

"We're right here, Ash." The familiar voice of his father answered.

Ash turned around and saw two fireworks of gold light bursting apart, and then the ethereal forms of his parents were standing behind him. "Now let's get ready for the second ball of the festival." Jayce said.

Ash nodded excitedly. "The second night is going to be a costume party." He explained.

Delia smiled widely. "Okay!" She exclaimed excitedly, holding up her wand as she knew that this time, she would be the one to create some new and amazing clothes for her precious son.

"Just leave your new attire to me!" She had always loved dressing him up when he was much younger whenever they would go to fancy parties, although Ash was less enthusiastic about them back then.