Chapter 5

Week. Rome was still a tiny cute white fluffy puppy even after a week. And what was worse, he started to enjoy it. He didn't have to go to university, study, cook, tidy up and do things like this. He could only sleep, eat, run, play around, and accompany Emma to her not dates with the neighbour Porsche. He already lost hope that they would find the solution in the ancient book and just wished for the spell to vanish somehow. Even though his current dog's life wasn't bad, there were still things he missed. He missed his parents and his talks with Emma. It could have been more bearable if he could talk, not just bark. 

It was the time for their usual stroll through the park. Rome liked it secretly. Running around in the grass field, playing with other dogs and letting himself get pat by the passersby. Most of the time, Emma let him alone, monitoring him from the bench as she stayed glued to her phone, thinking he didn't know who she was talking with. Rome was enjoying the hide and seek with the adorable shepherd, trying to hide under the densest bush he could find. He didn't pay attention to how far he went being too engrossed in the game. The shepherd didn't arrive, though. Rome decided to skip his way back to Emma. To his surprise, the bench she was supposed to sit on was empty. Rome looked around, but he couldn't see her anywhere. He started to panic. 

In his hysterical state, he started to jog around in the hope to bump into Emma. He almost gave up when he spotted the familiar figure. He sprinted after her as fast as his tiny Maltese body allowed him, barking loudly along the way. The person was heading out of the park, crossing the noisy street. He absentmindedly followed, not thinking of the cars passing by. He ducked the honking vehicles and cussing people, running after the one person, just to lose her again. 

Rome wailed aloud in despair. He lost Emma, and the street he was roaming around for hours didn't seem even a bit familiar to him. He was tired and hungry from all the stress. The dizziness was strong, forcing him to lie down on the dirty floor. Rome closed his eyes wishing it was only a dream.