Prologue*

The white cat padded through the forest, his green eyes full of wary. He hadn’t walked the path of his ancestors while he wasn’t at the Moonstone in a long time. He didn’t know what had called him out of his normal dreams of catching mice, and relaxing in his nest back in the ThunderClan camp and into the starry skies of StarClan.

He hadn’t even seen a trace of StarClan yet though, so he was on high alert, normally they were running around, catching prey, and just enjoying being dead. But they weren’t anywhere to be seen.

“Willowfur,” he heard a voice. The tom perked his ears at the sound of his name. The voice sounded familiar, and when it called for him again, Willowfur went running to it. He had to find the cat who was calling his name.

He burst out into a small clearing with a river running nearby. There were flowers in the meadow, and it seemed so nice. Then, he noticed a small tabby-and-white she-cat laying in the flowers. Wilowfur couldn’t believe his eyes.

“Sweetsong,” he purred.

“Willowfur,” Sweetsong mewed, not sounding quite as pleased as Willowfur had. She seemed more somber, and Willowfur tilted his head in confusion.

“What’s wrong?” he asked cautiously.

“The new leader of ThunderClan, Hardstar. He’s had a rough life himself, but he’s destined to bring new life into the Clan,” Sweetsong mewed, her amber eyes full of pain. “We don’t know enough about a prophecy but most of StarClan seems to think that his kits hold the answer to the prophecy.”

“What are you talking about?” Willowfur demanded. “What prophecy?”

“When the sun shall come close to dying, and the thorn full of envy; threats will rise and fall, and thunder tangled in a web of lies while the thorn grows bold with rage in it’s heart.“ Sweetsong shook herself suddenly. “Willowfur?” she asked, “What are you doing here?”

“You called me here!” Willowfur told her.

“That’s impossible,” Sweetsong hissed. “I wouldn’t call you here! I have nothing to say.”

“You told me a prophecy about a thorn or something, and you mentioned Hardstar! What does this mean?” Willowfur asked.

Sweetsong’s amber eyes widened in horror. Willowfur couldn’t understand. Why was she being so protective about this prophecy? What had just happened? Did she really have no knowledge of what she’d just said? Or was she playing some kind of game with him. He couldn’t figure out why his former mentor would want to though.

“You have to forget what I just said!” Sweetsong insisted. “You have to forget the prophecy!”

Added as of 4/5/2015

I added this prologue because I felt as though it was needed. Every book will have a prologue from now on, once I edit the book. I'll go back and add a prologue. I hope you enjoy.