Chapter Eight*

Thistlepaw's POV

It had been a little under a moon since my littermates and I had been made apprentices. Tonight was the full moon, which meant it was time for the Gathering. I'd been lucky to of been selected to the Gathering, mainly because I'd brought down an impressive sized raven the other day, one big enough to feed the current queen, Voletooth, and her four kits.

Because of that, Thornpaw and Sunpaw hadn't been selected to go. Eaglepaw was going, but that was more likely due to the fact that he was the medicine cat apprentice than anything. Ivypaw and Heatherpaw were coming as well.

"Alright, every cat who's going to the Gathering, come here beneath the Highledge so we can get ready to leave," Hardstar called to everyone.

There weren't many, besides Hardstar, Lionfur, Willowfur, Eaglepaw, Ivypaw, Heatherpaw, and I going. Besides us, it was Brownpelt, Birdsong, Dafttail, Owlheart, Crowpelt, Morningclaw, and Bumbleheart. Once we all were gathered by the Highledge, Hardstar continued on mewing.

"Alright. Let's get going!"

And he took off, not running, but not going too slow either. I could understand. From what Heatherpaw had told me previously, you didn't want to be the last to show up at the Gathering, but being first wasn't all that great either because it meant waiting for the others. It was good to be second or third.

Ivypaw and I were following towards the end of the line, right next to each other. The only cat behind us was Dafttail.

"You excited for your first Gathering?" Ivypaw asked, whispering, and we slowed down a little bit to talk a bit easier.

"Yeah," I replied breathlessly. "I'm also kind of nervous."

"Don't worry. Stick by me and Heatherpaw, and we'll make sure everything goes smoothly."

I nodded my head, and after Dafttail hissed at the two of us to get going faster, we ran faster towards the rest of the Clan.

We soon arrived at Fourtrees, where Hardstar hesitated before flicking his tail from left to right quickly. The cats of the Clan then poured down into the Gathering place. I stuck close to Heatherpaw and Ivypaw though, bristling at the unfamiliarity of the other cats from the different Clans. Sure, I'd been to Fourtrees before, but this was different. It was crowded with other cats that I didn't recognize; cats who come morning would once again be my enemies.

"C'mere, you two," Heatherpaw purred. "I've been to a few Gatherings, and I know my way around to show you two newbies some tricks." I could've taken what she said as offensive, but I could hear the playfulness in her voice, so I knew she didn't really mean it.

I took a sniff of the air. "Is ShadowClan not here, or am I just having difficulties smelling them?"

Heatherpaw took a sniff. "No, you're right Thistlepaw. Huh, normally those guys like being the first here. I wonder what's happening."

She kept moving though, and soon we were by a group of other apprentices. I smelt the air, and recognized the smell of WindClan and RiverClan.

"Hello," Heatherpaw mewed, her voice friendly.

"Heatherpaw!" a tabby tom, who stank like fish, mewed, his voice sounding friendly. "You got two new apprentices here?"

Ivypaw fluffed her tortoiseshell fur up, and showed her teeth. "I've been an apprentice for nearly two moons! This is just my first Gathering!"

The tabby tom shrank back, his amber eyes wide.

Heatherpaw hissed, "Be careful Ivypaw! Don't anger anyone here, especially Puddlepaw. He's the son of Sandfeather, who's RiverClan's deputy."