Chapter 11 - Emo bonding time

Marci Wellington's POV

The first week of school could be explained in many words, but I'll use one.

Eventful.

The cheer team kept giving Giá a hard time, especially after Mateo stepped in to defend his sister. My best friend has had a permanent scowl on her face since Tuesday.

As for Lucas; the basketball team has been singing his praises and helping him do stuff. The pessimist immediately called them out, and when the football jocks saw an opening to get on his good side, he shot them down faster than when Abuela could throw her trusty roll of paper to my head because I forgot to lock the front door.

I have the bruise and the missing chunk of makeup from my kit to prove it.

Nate and I have been working on a Biology project which is twenty-five per cent of our grades this term. It's about the reproductive system. I don't know how, but when he came over to do it, we ended up in Abuelo's study, where he helped us with it. I can now give my future kids the birds and the bees talk while using riddles.

Lovely.

Giá and I got up from our seats as the final bell rang. I could hear the home management teacher going on about submitting our assignments on Monday; she was drowned out by the falling of a sewing machine in the front.

"So, what are we doing this weekend?" Giá asked as we walked out of the class, stepping over the needles on the floor.

"I'm going over to the penthouse, you?"

"I have a whole book of diagrams to memorise for next week's technical drawing class." She leans on her locker while I open mine and dump my books in it.

"So, how does it feel to be the only girl in the class?" I humour her.

Giá has always wanted to be an Architect; she has an eye for building work if the Lego building blocks in her room are anything to go by.

"Well, I get a chance to watch boys try and make their dominance known. They fight each other over who gets to do my homework for my affection." She says grimly.

It was at that moment that Nate and Lucas joined us.

"Whose affection are we fighting for?" Nate asks as he ruffles Giá's hair which makes her glare at him.

"If it's you two, it's a lost cause." Lucas snorts as he takes a sip from his water bottle.

I close my locker and turn the dial.

We join the sea of students and make our way to the parking lot.

"We should do a dance video; it's been a while since we last did one," Nate said out of the blue.

"You're right, Nathan, but where and when would we get the chance to do it?" Lucas told him in a tone that adults used to talk to toddlers.

I bring my hand to his neck and feel it, "Definitely coming down with something."

Giá snorts, "The only thing Lucas can come down with is good grades and a heaping side of disapproval of everything."

"Anyway," My boyfriend brings our attention back to him, "I was thinking we could do it in my backyard. We just got a new paint job for the fence, and the grass needs to be broken in."

"Sounds doable. When should we do it?" I ask and look around them.

We had stepped outside the school and walked towards the car Diego used to bring Giá and me to school.

"We could do it on Sunday afternoon?" He suggested.

We all made a sound of approval and leaned on the car to wait for the Lealtad men to come out.