Chapter 20 - The grandmother

Danny Torent's POV

They say you can run your demons down to the ground, but you can't give them a run for their money.

Deep breaths were heard as I looked at myself in the mirror.

My shaggy blonde hair has been cut at the sides and dyed brown. Make-up dots around my face to change my features. My favourite is the contact lens on my right eye, which gave me pseudo-heterochromia.

A simple pair of blue jeans, a white wife-beater underneath a leather jacket and a pair of Nike cover my feet. I do a final double-take, satisfied with how good the Spanish Mafia covers their tracks.

Now, if I can get rid of my British accent, then we will be home-free.

"If you keep staring at that mirror, it might crack, and we will not win at this cat and mouse game your grandmother has going on for us." A sarcastic remark is the best way to start the night and announce her presence.

"Says the woman who spent five hours looking at it," I retort and adjust my jacket before turning around.

"Well played, Danny, well played." Rae Jean flings her hair behind her ear and struts out of the room.

"Let's go. Padre has to give us one final briefing before we leave." She calls over her shoulder.

An emerald green dress outlines the shape of her body but stops just above her knees; her feet are clad in low heels while her hair is in the usual low ponytail.

I follow behind her and keep my steps light as I mull over what's to come.

Sam never told me much about his sister's personality, but he did assure me that she shared common traits like the rest of the Griffins. I can only hope that being unpredictable isn't one of them.

The house looked deserted. Except for a lonely man who patrols the halls with guns strapped to almost every part of his body.

We walk down the halls before getting to the foyer of the house. There are many men in here. They all have a gun in hand or tucked into the waistbands of their pants. Scowls are plastered onto their faces. Each has a scar, a piercing or a tattoo on different parts of their body.

I'm assuming the ones going with Rae Jean and me as backup are the ones dressed in black and lined up at the edge of the room. I guess men in power don't joke with their daughters.

Or granddaughters.

Carlos stands before them and gives them their briefing in pure Spanish. His movements are carefree yet precise, his tone is light yet stern, and his stance is rigid. He might have smile lines around his eyes, but the promise of death for any man who goes against his orders is as clear as day.

After he finishes his briefing, he gives them a wink. The man closest to the door turns to his side and walks out, and his counterparts follow his lead.

Carlos sighs before turning around to face his daughter and me.

"Is everything ready?" Rae Jean asks her father as he walks closer to us, but his gaze is levelled with hers.

"Hija, are you sure you can handle this situation?" He says with uncertainty.

Translation: Daughter.

"Why wouldn't I be able to handle it?" She gives him a small smile, "Now, is everything ready?" A deadly look lay on her face as she spoke. She silently dared her father to question her capabilities.

He nodded before kissing her forehead, "Stay safe."

He finally looks at me, "Kasie would be on her top-notch guard since this party was not completely planned. Her lover is of French descent, so I advise that both of you stay on high alert. Stick together, and you will complete the mission efficiently. There are also cameras at different corners, so when you're doing anything sketchy; stay off-camera. With that said, you both need to come out of that alive. A delicate balance hangs in the air if you don't."