Chapter 19

Rafael woke in the darkness, the pain throbbing in his lower back, thankfully more dull due to the meds from the Doc. He'd been shot at many times, but he hadn't come this close to danger since he was young and reckless, his father still in charge. Rafael glanced down at the sleeping Isabella, her dark hair fanning his arm and his sheets, the soft rise and fall of her naked chest making her look even more angelic than she did during the day. Gently so as not to wake her, he slipped his arm out from under her neck and paused when she grunted lightly before settling back into the bed in deep sleep.

Yesterday had been too close. He had become fully distracted. He could never bring himself to regret savoring Isabella, tasting her, hearing the groans of pleasure escape from her throat. He regretted not having her fully, not being able to bury himself inside of her angelicness even if only for a few minutes to escape the violence and brutality of his life. But in his gut he knew Martín was right, even if for the wrong reasons. Rafael had chosen Isabella as part of a strategic plan, a way to coordinate an escape, to cross all of his enemies against one another and slip out through the cracks so he could leave everything his father had built in the hands of the men his father had dedicated his life to killing. Rafael didn't just want to leave this world with a fake passport. He wanted to ruin his family's legacy before he made his escape.

Rafael gently closed the bedroom door behind him as he made his way to his office. Isabella's questions about Alejandra bothered him deeply because she was right. His original plan after burning his Narcos empire to the ground had always been to reunite with Alejandra, to ask her to join him in a life of peace and anonymity. To make her his wife, to make her the mother of his children. He'd been with countless women since Alejandra had left for a life in the States many years ago, but not one of them had ever felt like he was cheating on her. Not until Isabella, and he hadn't even fully had her.

Rafael texted a few of his men, his closest team. He knew it was nearly 3:00 AM but a Narcos boss never worked nine to five. Running an international drug trade was an around the clock type of business. He sat back in his chair, his heart pounding in his chest with regret at what he was about to do but knowing after yesterday that it had to be done. His plans could change. He could find another way to destroy the Narcos empire without using a bride as a pawn. After how closely he'd brought Isabella to harm yesterday, he didn't have a choice. He was a man of his word, and yesterday he'd almost broken the promise of safety he'd made to Isabella.

"Mis hombres, take a seat," Rafael stood as his men entered. Martín was followed by Luca, José and Ryan. Ryan was one of the only gringos in his crew, a fiercely loyal American who had defected from the DEA after his Mexican girlfriend had been killed by the States in a coordinated ambush, using Ryan as a pawn. People on the outside would never understand just how much the DEA and the Cartel were embedded with one another. Going undercover, making deals under the table, even falling in love. They were practically an extension of the same organization. Everything was messy in the Narcos world.

"My plans have changed," Rafael took a seat and steepled his hands on his desk, his eyes roaming over his men, not missing the slight arrogant tilt of Martín's chin. "Yesterday was too close of a call, not just for my own safety but for Isabella's–"

"Jefe, it will never happen again. We should have been better prepared–"

"Silencio," Rafael held up his hand at Ryan who closed his mouth shut and took a step back, deep regret etched on his face, "this is not your fault. The ambush was a surprise attack and under normal circumstances I would have been...clearer headed. I would have heeded your warnings earlier." Rafael paused as a flash of Isabella's creamy thighs, spread wide for him on the edge of his bed burned into his memory. "I am the boss, I am a veteran of this life. I should have known better." Rafael didn't elaborate but he knew that Martín was reading between the lines. "Isabella, the American, she needs to be returned home. Safely and anonymously. I cannot have her followed." Rafael's glare turned lethal as he stared down his men, imposing upon them the severity of his request. "Can you all coordinate that for me without incident?"

"Por supuesto, jefe," all men responded in unison. Rafael glanced over at Martín, noting the growing smirk of righteousness on his face. He tried to ignore it.

"Good. I need this done within the next 48 hours. We will say that she died in yesterday's attack. This will fuel my reasons for retaliation." The men nodded and turned to leave, knowing the planning for this request should begin now. Martín lingered in the doorway to Rafael's office, turning back to face him as Ryan, Luca, and José left.

"You are making the right decision, jefe. I only wish you would have come to this conclusion earlier." Rafael stood, placing his palms flat on his desk before searing Martín with a deathly glare.

"I don't recall asking for opinions, Martín."

"Understood, jefe." Martín nodded, that faint ghost of a smirk still on his face as he turned to leave. Rafael slammed his fist into his desk, angry at himself for putting Isabella in this position. Angry at himself for falling for her and yet still not having her. Angry at himself for feeling like he'd broken the unspoken promise he'd made to Alejandra when his father forced the end of their union so many years ago. He was not a man who often felt confused, helpless. He was in control and yet a young American with a beautiful face and a burning fire had brought him to his knees, made him foolish and reckless. Two attributes that had no place in this world, much less for someone hellbent on destroying it.

"All of this, padre, everything you've built on the blood that seeps into the red dirt of this land," Rafael spoke into the darkness, "I will burn it to the godforsaken ground. I will ruin the Vargas Narcos empire, even if I lose myself in the process. I promise you that."