A Wizard!

Izuku entered the Great hall alongside the other first years. There were four long tables set up in the hall, filling most of the floorspace. The first years walked between the two middle tables towards the teacher's table at the far end of the hall.

  The small group of first years came to a stop at the base of the few steps at the end of the hall, where Professor McGonagall was standing next to a stool with a battered leather hat sitting stop it.

  "When I call your names, each of you will come to the front, place the sorting hat on your head and be sorted into your houses. Now, Hanna Abott!"

  A girl with ginger pigtails stepped forwards and sat on the stool. Professor McGonagall set the hat on her head and waited. A few seconds later, the hat spoke.

  "HUFFLEPUFF!!!"

  The table with yellow decorations clapped and cheered as the girl skipped over. One by one, the first years were sorted into the four houses. Hermione went to Gryffindor, Malfoy, the boy from Madame Maklin's, went to Slytherin.

  "Izuku Midoriya!" Professor McGonagall called.

  Izuku walked forwards, sitting on the stool and waiting patiently as the hat was put on his head.

  "Hmm.. difficult, very difficult.." a voice spoke in his head.

  "You speak Japanese?" Izuku asked the hat.

  "No.. but I can when I'm on your head. Now, where to put you.. you're smart, that isn't in question, Ravenclaw may be a good fit.. but you're cunning as any Slytherin I've seen.. Brave and Courageous too.. hmm.. what to do with you? I had the same problem with that Granger girl.. oh you know eachother? Then it'd better be.."

  "GRYFFINDOR!!!"

  The table of students with red and gold trimmed robes cheered as Izuku hopped off of the stool and joined Hermione at the long table.

  The last few first years were sorted, finishing on a Ravenclaw boy, and Professor McGonagall took the sorting hat away, returning to sit in the deputy headmistress' chair a moment later.

  The elderly man with half moon spectacles and a long beard stood from his chair at the middle of the teacher's table.

  "Welcome first years. Now, before we begin this wonderful feast, there are a few rules to go over. The forbidden forest is to be avoided, as is the abandoned corridor on the third floor. Anyone who risks entry to these areas will more than likely encounter a brutal death. Another 43 items have been added to Mr Filch's banned item list, which can be found just outside our caretaker's office."

  Izuku wasn't entirely sure if the promise of a 'brutal death' was a joke or not. He didn't want to find out.

  "And with that out of the way, let the feast... Begin!"

  The greenette watched in amazement as the empty silver platters were filled with all kinds of food. Izuku was surprised to find rice and pork cutlets in the bowls closest to him. He glanced up at the head table, where the elderly man met his gaze with a small wink.

  There was also a pair of chopsticks by his plate alongside the silverware. He was the only person at the table with them. Izuku sighed gratefully and picked up the wooden implements, drawing the attention of the people closest to him.

  "Where'd you get those?" A red haired boy asked.

  "They were just here with my other cutlery. I'm actually relieved, I prefer these to what everyone else has got." He replied.

___________________

  Once the feast was over a prefect called Percy Weasley led the first years to Gryffindor Tower. Izuku was somewhat amazed by the moving paintings that called out greetings to the new students.

  A portrait of a... Large woman hid the entrance to the Gryffindor common room. The password, Balderdash, made the portrait swing forwards and reveal the door behind. Percy led the eleven year olds through to the round room full of couches and armchairs.

  "Boy's dorms are up the staircase to the left. Girls are on the right. Your luggage has already been delivered to your rooms, where you will share with three or four other roommates. Now, head up and unpack and go to bed, the first day, while exciting, is always the worst. If you need directions don't be afraid to stop and ask any student or professor in the hall." Percy said rather pompously.

Izuku waved to Hermione before heading up the boy's stairwell and going through the first year's door.

  The room was somewhat semicircular, with five large beds dominating most of the floorspace. There was a door on the flat wall, leading into a bathroom area. Izuku sat on the bed beside his trunk and opened it, rummaging around for his pyjamas.

  The boy with bright red hair in the bed to his right gave him a nod.

  "I'm Ron. Ron Weasley." He said politely.

  "Izuku Midoriya." The greenette replied.

  "Neville Longbottom." The boy on his left introduced himself.

  "Seamus Finnegan!" Someone called from the bathroom.

  "Dean. Thomas." The boy putting up old football posters said, more concerned by the unmoving images.

  Once the boys were all ready for bed they each closed the curtains on their beds, exhausted by the long day from getting to the platform at Kings Cross and the late feast in the evening.

  Izuku dreamt about trains, magic wands and bushy brown hair.