Chapter 3

Torin POV

"The authorisation letters arrived. They're in your brother's office," Sherly informs. "And the acquisition report you requested is in yours. As well, I should remind you that the meeting with the board of directors is this evening."

"Since the CEO of Zenith is somewhere between here and Sinaloa." Shifting my weight to one side, I drop my elbow on the arm of the chair. My fingertips digging into my temple. "We'll just have to postpone the meeting until further notice. Again."

Sherly turns to leave, but I stop her with a raised hand.

"You think she'll like the flowers?" Apprehension leaking into my tone. "Not too little?" Snapping my fingers, making her flinch unintentionally. "I should order more."

"And where would you put them?"

I fix her with her an austere look. She bows her head, dropping her gaze to the ground.

 "Mr Moon." Hesitantly, she looks up to outstretch her arm expansively. "Look around... there's barely space to walk."

She may be right. The entire bedroom; a palatial stretch of vast space and superior architecture, overwhelmed by the royal bouquets of velvet roses. From the entryway to the ensuite, the room is ornate with a riot of red roses, muting out any other colour. Only brightened by the treasure of light heralded in by the glass balcony doors and floor-to-ceiling windows. Every piece of furnishing surpassed by the scarlet supremacy. The floors shrouded by the multitude of red, neatly positioned to create the single narrow lane from the double doors to the bed.

"Doctor said she would wake soon." A foulness blooms within that could wither every petal around me. "That was five days ago."

"She has been in a coma for a while. The doctor also mentioned since she received no severe brain trauma as her MRI indicates. Her rehabilitation will be swift and she likely wake unaffected. Since some people would require intense physiotherapy and occupational therapy if they were under for this long."

I lay my forearm down, clutching the arm with a white-knuckled grip. "You should've stopped at she'll make a swift recovery."

"If I may?"

I rein in my frustration. I give my approval with a quick hand gesture.

"You should try talking to her."

My brows slam together, twisting in the chair to glare back at her. "You believe in that bullshit that people can hear you in a coma?"

Reluctance stitches her mouth close before she tears it back open. "Medical science on neurorehabilitation proves that they can. Research has also suggested that stimulating the fundamental senses – touch, sound and smell – could potentially help a person recover from a coma."

I fall back into the chair, staring pensively at a random wreath of roses. "And how do you know that?"

"Clinical doctorate."

I glance at her from over my shoulder. "You've worked for us for years—six or seven. And only now I know that?" A memory strobes my mind. "You were one of Orian's personal hires since I was the one who recruited our private staff. He already had contacts for mercenaries and ex-military that formed our security detail."

"I used to work for Haruki Matsuda, a crime boss that served the Yakuza. Mr Moon valued my talents and, above all else, my discretion. Matsuda was just a high-level broker; my work was mainly...logistical."

I chuckle humorously. "I'm sure it has certainly expanded since then."

"If there's anything else?"