Chapter 8

Jostled slightly from side to side, I stir awake. A sudden jolt—my eyes fly open.

A deluge of nausea overtakes me in an instant. My head is both too heavy and too light and all my senses are hopelessly scrambled, rendering my entire body inoperable. I blink fast, clearing my vision, warding off the blurry haze. I try to sit up, but pain is quick to reprimand me, burning aches throb all over my body. I grab my head.

"Easy." The voice sounds so distant. "Easy there."

I gradually gain situational awareness. I'm in the backseat of a Range Rover and Torin is in the driver's seat, throwing his head back frequently to check on me. Consciousness tries to elude me but I cling to it for as long as I can.

"You were on a heavy dose of morphine, take it easy."

He jerks to the side, making a sharp turn. I slide across the seat, pressed against the door.

He meets my haggard gaze in the rear-view mirror. Frenzy glinting in his eyes. "I'm sorry, but we have to get out of here—out of the country."

Inescapable exhaustion cleaves to every bit of me, draining each ounce of life I had.

Black envelops my world in one swallow.

When I wake up again, the car comes to a jarring halt. Torin explodes out, rounding the car to open the backseat door, letting me out. I stifle a groan, clutching my stomach as I shuffle out, my feet meeting with the asphalt. Torin closes the door behind me. Still disorientated, my eyes skim over the executive airport, the hangar bay doors still wide open. I turn around to see a midnight-black private plane near the runway with a flight attendant standing in the doorway.

"Let's go

"Let's go."

I try to take one step forward. I sink to the ground. Torin catches me in time.

My arm wraps around his neck and he lifts me up into his arms, hurrying to the plane.

My head rests against his shoulder. Sleep slinks out like a prowling bandit.

"Stop trying to stay awake," he says with a listless smile, glancing down at me. "I got you. You're safe now."

***

I'm really tired of getting knocked out.

I heave myself upright. Grateful for feeling much better than before.

The pain subsided to faraway twinges, constant but bearable.

I take in the sublime master suite of muted yellow and beige tones, still unable to familiarise myself with this standard of living in astounding extravagance. I clamber out of the luxurious linen, still wearing a hospital-like gown. The floors are softened by furry velvet carpets. I reach for the wall for stability, using it to guide myself out of the room. I drag myself down the carpeted hallway that eventually opens up to an opulent space.