Path of the Hero Issue 1 - Killing the Past for a Better Future

The doors to the diner blasted open as the waitress Yuuki dragged me by my shoulders across the room, exhausted. "Just hang in there, ok. Don't you dare die on me now? You promised."

Still on the floor, I rested my back against the booth holding a bloody wound deep into my chest. My head began to burn as I couldn't think straight. Yuuki jumped over the counter ramming through cupboards. She began to break down, not finding any bandages. Sliding under the door, she pressed an old rag against my open wound, nodding. "Keep that there, alright. I'm going to call for help. Someone has to answer."

"𝕋𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖'𝕤 𝕟𝕠 𝕡𝕠𝕚𝕟𝕥 𝕚𝕟 𝕗𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕚𝕟𝕘"

As she went to stand up, serval lights burst through the windows, blinding us. Holding her down, I glanced up to see rows of police cars surrounding the area. "There's nowhere to hide Red String Butcher. We have the place completely surrounded. Come out with your hands up."

"This can't be happening!" Yuuki whispered, pressed her hand against my wound, terrified. "What do we do. What do w-."

"𝕊𝕖𝕥 𝕞𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕖𝕖. 𝔹𝕖𝕔𝕠𝕞𝕖 𝕨𝕙𝕠 𝕪𝕠𝕦'𝕧𝕖 𝕒𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕞𝕖𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝕓𝕖"

Placing my hand on her cheek, I smiled. "Don't worry. I am here... This is my mistake to make."  Holding the rag, I stumbled outside to Yuuki's horror. The police lights blinded me entirely as I took the first steps to my ultimate demise...

****

5 days earlier

Blood splattered to the floor as my head was hung low in shame and defeat. My hand was numb, my vision blurry. Everything was happening too slowly like I was trapped at that moment as a hand came into view. "Please Y/N. You may not trust us as pros. You may have lost all faith in heroes, but don't give up on yourself. You have your friends to rely on. We may have failed you before, but please. Don't make that same mistake instead."

I held my head up high, staring into All Might's eyes. I had never seen him up close like this before, leaving a strange feeling. His heroic nature was gone, only to be replaced by a calm and collective man who wanted to help. Gritting my teeth tightly, I screamed, lunging at him, pinning the number one hero to the ground. Midoriya went to attack only for All Might to hold his hand out as I cried, punching him with no energy. "No, no. I don't deserve that. Not me, not ever." Falling back, I lay on the ground sobbing my eyes out, looking to the crimson dawn sky all out of energy. "I've done terrible things, planned on doing more. I manipulated and betrayed good people. People who did nothing wrong. I've killed bad people because I lost control and planned on killing you All Might. How can anyone like that, with my quirk, be a hero?"

The Red String all fell apart as everyone was freed. Kneeled down, I looked up at everyone defeated. "It's not what your quirk is, Y/N. It's how you use it; you are strong. Fast thinking to fight two pros and two students at once after going toe to toe with a Villain. You will always have a place as a hero no matter what happens next. I promise."

"I accept my misdeeds. I... I don't deserve anyone's help. But, if you simply wish to throw me in prison, I understand. It's the best I deserve."

Aizawa wrapped his restraints around me as I stood up, disappointed in myself, and I couldn't tell why. Was it because I couldn't go through with it or that I really am more of a failure than I first thought.

As I was pulled along to face my fate, the voice screamed in my head, making me feel numb. "𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕨𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕓𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕒𝕥𝕙 𝕀 𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕠𝕨 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕥𝕠 𝕨𝕒𝕝𝕜 𝕕𝕠𝕨𝕟!"