TWO | the secret bond

Mrs Nott has her graying hair pinned up, and the pearl necklace she barely takes off looks shinier than ever in the morning light. Blair hasn't seen her mother in six months, but then again, Blair's used to her parents been absent.

Her mother presses her red lips into a thin line, then sets her eyes on her eldest. "Theo," She says, grinning as she leaves her suitcase and takes Theo's face into her hand. "Good to see you, dear."

Blair swallows thickly as her father steps into sight, placing down his bag. He's still the same. Graying brown hair, thick stubble coating the lower half of his face, and eyes so dark that Blair's seen cloudy night skies with more light.

Mrs Nott spots Draco first, who's partly hiding Blair behind his back. "Draco, darling," She says, white teeth on display as she grimaces at him. "Theo told me you'd be here. Oh, I want to hear everything about your new job." Draco leans down, and Mrs Nott presses two kisses to his cheeks.

Blair lets go of Draco's sleeve, straightening her posture as her mother approaches her. Mrs Nott takes in the sight of her daughter. "Hi, Mum." Blair says, attempting to smile but failing.

Mr Nott lingers in the background talking to Theo, with Draco watching him like a hawk.

"Theo told me what happened," Mrs Nott says softly, placing her cold hand on Blair's cheek. "We'll talk about it later, okay? I'm just so happy to see you, sweetheart." Blair's pulled in to her mother's embrace, clenching her jaw at the nostalgic scent of her perfume that never changed over the years.

"Your father isn't all too happy about your current situation. He won't be easy on you." Mrs Nott whispers to Blair, then lets go of her daughter, who has now gone pale.

Mr Nott nods at Draco. "Good to see you, Draco. Heard you've been doing well, eh?"

Draco stuffs his hands into the pockets of his black trousers, his jaw set tight. "I'm alright."

Mr Nott sets his eyes on Blair, rage flaring in those dark eyes at the state of his daughter. Blair feels the pit of anxiety in her stomach grow until it's like an animal is gnawing on her insides. "Blair." Mr Nott says stiffly, tilting his head to the side.

"Let's bring our luggage upstairs, William. I'm just exhausted from the flight.." Mrs Nott says quickly, taking off her coat.

"I'll help, Mum. Don't worry." Theo says, taking her suitcase and purse from her before following his father upstairs.

Blair finally lets out a breath, pulling the sleeves of her sweater over her hands to hide the tremble in them. "You're okay. You're safe. I won't leave your side when he's around." Draco says softly to Blair, who visibly relaxes from his voice.

Breathe.

"Can I make you some tea, Mary?" Draco asks, gesturing for Blair to come along as he follows Mrs Nott into the kitchen.

"Serving me when you're the guest in my home?" Mrs Nott chuckles. "You've never changed a bit over the years, Draco. Narcissa raised you well."

Draco grins, quickly putting the kettle on. "It's no bother, really."

Mrs Nott looks at the dining table. "I see we've interrupted you three during your breakfast. Keep eating, please, don't stop for us." She gestures at the leftovers of food, then looks at Blair.

"I'm not hungry." Blair mumbles, trying to listen to the footsteps coming from upstairs, concentrating on when they start to come back down.

Mrs Nott opens her mouth to say something, but then closes it, sighing.