Chapter 1

"What do you mean he's gone?" My voice quivered as they slowly lowered me into the chair

"What do you mean he's gone?" My voice quivered as they slowly lowered me into the chair. "What do you mean?" My teeth were clenched as I could feel my body heating up. I looked back and forth between my father and the doctors. I caught my father's eyes, and the tears filled the brim.

"Hone...I-," his voice cracked. I stared at my father in disbelief. There was no way he was gone. How? I had him. Everything was going to be okay. He told me it was fine.

"Dad..." I said barely above a whisper. "Tell me this isn't real.... please." My body was burning, and I was beginning to feel lightheaded. He promised he would never leave. How could he just be gone...like he never existed.

I could feel my Dad lower himself next to me before hesitantly taking me into his arms.

"I'm so sorry, my sweet girl. I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry!" I screamed and pushed him away.

"This is your fault! You took him away from me! You did! You made him leave! He's gone because of you! You did this!"

"Honey! I only wanted to protect you!" he said with a pleading look in his eyes.

"Fuck you!" I shouted and turned to walk away. He had taken away the one person that mattered to me. The one person who made my life bearable. What the hell was I supposed to do now?

I woke up from my sleep surrounded by the darkness of my bedroom. My heart rate was elevated, and I was in a cold sweat. Waking up this way was a common occurrence, especially when I had the dream. It was the same dream I always had when I began to miss him. I missed him so much. God... It had been almost 2 years since that dreadful day, and the pain remained more potent than ever; I knew it would never leave.

In times like these, I did what I always do. I reached for my phone on the nightstand beside my bed but stopped immediately. I felt a heavy weight across my waist and turned my head to the side.

"Fuck," I whispered and turned my head to look at the ceiling. It was Joseph, my neighbor. I had completely forgotten he was there. This was his third time this week, but I didn't mind it. He was kind, good company, and recently a good lay. I slowly lifted his arm off me, careful not to wake him, then slipped out of bed. I grabbed what felt like a t-shirt off the floor and slipped it on, then grabbed my phone and went downstairs.

"What time is it?" I mumbled. I glanced at the kitchen clock to see it was 3:30 am. Gross. I plopped on my sofa and opened my text messages. I scrolled until I found his name. It was all the way to the bottom; it had been a long time since I texted him. I only did it when times were terrible, and my chest burned. I really missed him.

I clicked on his name and saw my last text. It was sent Monday, July 12 at 6 pm. I scuffed lightly to myself. I glanced over the previous text and smiled. I told him about my new apartment, job, friends, and how proud of me he would have been. I hope he's proud of me. After reading some of my old texts, I began writing my life update as I like to call them.